• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dimensions/plans for Deuce engine dolly needed

nickd

I have an opportunity to aquire an engine. Anyone have any suggestions on how to construct a home built cradle for use in the shop for test run/rebuild?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does it still have the front mount on it? If so is it the piece or 1 piece design? Take a look at the following pic. I ran mine like this while sitting on the trailer. Mine had the one piece front mount. At some point we will have a video of its first start on the trailer. Don't know about a rebuild.

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Well, getting something to test run it is easy enough. Heck, you could get one of the cans they are shipped in......at least if you could see one you could fabricate something.

But something that will allow you to rebuild it means being able to turn it upside down to put the crank in it. it's one thing to put bearings or a rear main seal upside down, it's a whole 'nother thing to put in a crank upside down (especially one this big).

rwelker

I've run one of my spares right in the can with good results. You could pull out the cradle and put legs on it for better access but to really work on it you will need a diesel stand. I picked one up at Mechanicsburg DRMO for 60.00; I still have to make the mounting plate to use it with a multifuel. Most of the heavy diesel stands mount to the side of the block. Don't try to use a 79.99 discount stand with a multifuel; you will be working on it on the floor!!! These are heavy (1500lbs plus) and are very top heavy. Be careful. Rick

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's not as hard as you think. Set the engine on blocks at the front and jackstands on the rear motor mounts, take off the externals, heads, manifolds, etc. Stand it on the flywheel housing, strip the engine of pistons, cam, etc. 2 guys or 1 guy and a cherry picker can lift the engine, let it down slowly so it rolls onto the deck. put in o piece of plywood so it won't mess up the deck. Remove the flywheel housing, out comes the crank. Lay a new crank and re assemble in reverse order. I used to do it that way when I was a big moon lighter on 855s and L10s. If we have more than 3 engines out at a time, since we only have 3 stands, we still do it this way. I also think it's faster than doing it in a stand!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks