• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dipper cylinder seal replacement

87cr250r

Usually you need to support the weight of whatever the cylinder is holding and then push the pins out. If the arm is not supported the pins won't push out freely.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What would be the way to get the dipper cylinder freed? It’s leaking a lot and I need to replace the seals.
I didn't have any cranes (or another FLU) when having to remove mine, but using the tractor's loader worked well.

Getting it reinstalled was a bit trickier when working alone, but not hard.

319cssb

Not sure 🤔 but I was going to try and get the upper pin out with the back hoe folded. Then pull the cylinder out . When installing I ought to be able to move the boom slightly with a crowbar or Missouri bar.
I was hoping someone had done this before and know some pointers.
Fluefarm can you elaborate some more on how you used your front loader to get to the dipper cylinder ? I can’t really visualize it being that the front loader is in the opposite end

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As mentioned, I didn't have another SEE, or an HMMH, at the time so I used the tractor's loader. And a home built lifting apparatus.
It would've required two people to remove it by hand.

Anyway, found a photo which should explain how I did it. Getting the lower hose connection back in place was probably the least fun part.DSCN0208.JPG

319cssb

That looks convoluted AF. There has to be a better way. Hell, I installed a dipper cylinder on a SEE before without all this and hauled it up there by myself. Not that I would want to that ever again.

87cr250r

If I have room I just lift the cylinder from one end. Choke the rod and lift to take the load off the top, push the top pin out, lift until the cylinder is nearly vertical and load is off the bottom and push the other pin out.

If you need to remove the cylinder in any position but vertical use a chain hoist on one of the two straps to precisely balance the load so you can push the pins out. Don't hammer, that mushrooms the ends.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure 🤔 but I was going to try and get the upper pin out with the back hoe folded. Then pull the cylinder out . When installing I ought to be able to move the boom slightly with a crowbar or Missouri bar.
I was hoping someone had done this before and know some pointers.
Fluefarm can you elaborate some more on how you used your front loader to get to the dipper cylinder ? I can’t really visualize it being that the front loader is in the opposite end
It don't look like the pin will clear the cab guard folded.

319cssb

If I have room I just lift the cylinder from one end. Choke the rod and lift to take the load off the top, push the top pin out, lift until the cylinder is nearly vertical and load is off the bottom and push the other pin out.

If you need to remove the cylinder in any position but vertical use a chain hoist on one of the two straps to precisely balance the load so you can push the pins out. Don't hammer, that mushrooms the ends.
I just need to get the top pin out.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That looks convoluted AF. There has to be a better way. Hell, I installed a dipper cylinder on a SEE before without all this and hauled it up there by myself. Not that I would want to that ever again.
You also didn't have to do it with my bad back, bad knees, and a hernia.

There's a reason I have machinery that can lift stuff that I can't. Or at least shouldn't.

Heck, I even used the pallet forks to load the cylinder (on a pallet) in the back of the pickup. Of course, there was no need for using the spreader bar, but I had recently made it and wanted to try it out.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m sorry about reading of your failing health
It's not failing per se. My knees were bad since about two years of age, screwed up my back at 18, and got the hernia maybe 10 years ago.

On the positive side, my brain cell still works to some extent. Which is why in your case (if not wanting to raise the backhoe) I'd simply raise it maybe 10 inches, block it in that position, and then remove the pin.

Yep, I'm lazy, and try to do things the easy way whenever possible. It's not for everybody, but works for me.

319cssb

It's not failing per se. My knees were bad since about two years of age, screwed up my back at 18, and got the hernia maybe 10 years ago.

On the positive side, my brain cell still works to some extent. Which is why in your case (if not wanting to raise the backhoe) I'd simply raise it maybe 10 inches, block it in that position, and then remove the pin.

Yep, I'm lazy, and try to do things the easy way whenever possible. It's not for everybody, but works for me.
That sounds like a winner.
I am also glad to hear that you’re doing fairly well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks