• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dipstick and oil pressure question.

oldshep

The past few times ive ran my truck it seems the oil pressure is lower than normal. I have jatonkas spin on filters and now i get oil pressure as slow as i did with the old canister style. Also when you rev it up some and let off, the oil pressure goes down to 15 psi or so then back up to 20-25 or so. It used to not do this dropping then coming back up. So today i installed 2 new WIX 51458 filters thinking the others may be dirty. These didn't change anything.
My next thought is maybe the oil is a little low. Could this cause the variation in oil pressure at idle? The first thing i did was check the oil level. Up to the "c" on check when cold, correct? But it looks like in the past my oil dipstick was broken then brazed back togather. So I am thinking the length of the dipstick itself could be wrong. Could someone if they have time measure their dipstick from the tip to the point where it threads into the tube? This would be greatly appreciated!!!

tm america

Oil pump could be going bad or it could be a sticking oil pressure regulator.I would pull the regulator off and make sure the spring isn't broke and that the valve moves freely. Second measure your dipsick and compare it to on that hasn't been messed with.There are two types of screw on filters one has a drain back valve the other doesnt .If the filters you have on there don't have the drainback valve it will not make any change as to how fast the oil pressure comes up on initial start up

Westex

O.K., I went out and climbed up on it. Pulled dipstick. It measures exactly 27 inches from the tip of the dipstick to the bottom of the little 'bell' where the threads start. At 24 and 3/4 inches, (measured from the tip), there is on my dipstick a brazed portion, which sounds just like yours. Go a' measurin......

oldshep

Thank you Westex!!! That's good to know. Ill measure mine tomarrow. The fuel in the oil is a good idea but my FDC was bypassed a few months ago. I'll let you guys know whats going on when I look at it Thursday.

Westex

Just as a last note, bypassing the FDC will not always prevent diesel from getting into the sump. It can also leak from the injector pump itself. Hope this has not happened, as the cure is somewhat costly in the form of a rebuild on your IP.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could have a leaking booster pump. Allowing fuel into the oil.

An oil analysis is a good idea. Local truck shops or NAPA should have the kits.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
An oil analysis is a good idea. Local truck shops or NAPA should have the kits.
I always wanted to have one of these done on my truck seeing i have about 3000 miles on the oil now. Are they expensive? I never had one done and it would be intresting to see the results. What kinf of results do they give you?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

peashooter

The past few times ive ran my truck it seems the oil pressure is lower than normal. I have jatonkas spin on filters and now i get oil pressure as slow as i did with the old canister style. Also when you rev it up some and let off, the oil pressure goes down to 15 psi or so then back up to 20-25 or so. It used to not do this dropping then coming back up. So today i installed 2 new WIX 51458 filters thinking the others may be dirty. These didn't change anything.
My next thought is maybe the oil is a little low. Could this cause the variation in oil pressure at idle? The first thing i did was check the oil level. Up to the "c" on check when cold, correct? But it looks like in the past my oil dipstick was broken then brazed back togather. So I am thinking the length of the dipstick itself could be wrong. Could someone if they have time measure their dipstick from the tip to the point where it threads into the tube? This would be greatly appreciated!!!

Did you ever figure this out? I have the same problem where I have the spin on adapters with WIX anti drain back valve filters and it takes the same amout of time to get oil pressure as before with the canisters.

3rdmdqm

Did you ever figure this out? I have the same problem where I have the spin on adapters with WIX anti drain back valve filters and it takes the same amout of time to get oil pressure as before with the canisters.
I have heard that the anti-drainbacks still leak and do not hold all the oil in the filter. If you don't run your truck for a while, the oil seeps back and the filters are empty. Over time, the seals in the antidrainback also fail and they are just normal filters. Anyone else experience this?

JCKnife

Where is this nozzel located? I think I have this problem and am planning on fixing it today. Thanks!
If he is referring to the manifold heater, that nozzle is screwed into the intake tube, above the turbo.

"Fuel heater" most trucks don't have, so the above is my assumption.

RIDDLE1

If he is referring to the manifold heater, that nozzle is screwed into the intake tube, above the turbo.

"Fuel heater" most trucks don't have, so the above is my assumption.
The reason I ask is because I think mine I am afraid mine may be leaking into the crankcase. I just want to cap the system off as I really do not need it down here.

How does it get fuel into the crankcase anyhow?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks