• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

disabled passenger

randini

I am seriously looking at a Deuce. The problem is my wife is disabled (bad knees). She needs a cane, sometimes a walker. I want to take her on rides. Anyone rig-up a step ladder to get into the cab? I can weld-up something, but maybe someone has covered this before. Thanks for your help!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
When I was an over the road driver I met a couple that rode together in a semi.
She was in a wheel chair and he had a lift on a boom that was attached to the cab.
He could pick her up and swing her into the cab through the passenger door.
The boom and small electric hoist folded up and was stowed next to the cab and did not stick out any further than the mirror.
I asked him if it was a professional job and he said that he and his brother had designed and fabbed it up.
You could prob rig something like that up for your better half. Since she is mobile it would prob be easy. It might be as easy as a fold out ladder.
With all the expertise we have on the site I'm sure someone can help you out.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After coming back from Haspin I'm thinking I'm going to need something like that just to get in and out of mine.

We discussed this once in another thread and WM hit it on the head. Small crane lift off the bed or a ladder.

sw

Stan Leschert

There are civvy portable steps available, for helping warehouse workers to get up to shelves. Some of them don't weigh much, and may work for your app. They are light enough for 1 person to put in the back of the truck. You will have to lash them to the side of the truck (for loading), just for the safety and confidence of your passenger.

If the mobility is too compromised, a crane or lift may be in order.

I know that when we do parades, we quite often have to back the truck up to a loading dock, so that our older Veterans can easliy get into the back of the truck. It isn't the same as riding in the companion seat, but they still ride.

If you can give us a better idea of the requirements, and the usual abilities (as they always change daily) , we might be better able to advise you. If you wish, feel free to PM me.

No matter what, please keep us updated, on your solution. More and more people, who would like to come with us, will need more assistance. All ideas are needed.

Thanks for bringing up this problem. I am looking forward to the proposed solutions. They may not work in every case, but every one is different. If just one can help 1 person, well.. BONUS!!!!

randini

I want to thank you all. I have been thinking about this for a while, and unsure if I should bring it up. I am impressed by your compassion and knoweldge. I dont think we are to the point where my wife would ever tolerate a crane, yet. But I think some type of step ladder will be the solution.

Troll1216

Ditto for the steps. About 15 years ago I was helping my High School with an antique show in the gym. Parking was a problem so we used the school's vans to bring passengers to and from the parking lots. A step was the best way we could find to get mobility challenged persns into the vans....

With that said.... The Deuce is a bit taller. I have seen Monster Trucks with hydrolic steps that flip out when a button is pressed and retract again when it is pressed again. They stow up and above in the frame.

You might also be able to make a flip out step. Picture the passenger side cab area. On an "A" frame with the top of the "A" pointed inboard. Now make two of them parallel. Put the tip top of the "A" on a hinge on each side of the area where the door frame meets the frame so that it goes up and in and out and down. Weld up some steps between the "A" frames. If it doesn't get low enough its ok, just put a plastic step up for the first one to the new platform. You could even tie chain or roap to it to pull them in and the other up and secured.

hemichallenger

If you are looking for steps they are easy to get off an rv . Some pull out by hand and others have motors. Most are 12 volt so you could just hook to 1 battrey. Some have two steps and some have three. I have also cut some of the cab brace off the middle were the door closes that is welded to the cab on a few deuces and have had nothing crack even after putting them on the side and twisting the cab. I think all they do is made it hard to get in and out of. I only cut out the middle section.

rlwm211

Coping with disabilities is mind over matter

I have some mobility issues myself. I understand the trepidation your wife may have about a deuce.
Any lift you design would be more amenable if it is operable by her, by herself if necessary. Independence is an important issue for people who are struggling with disabilities; ask me how I know this.

What you are contemplating is a pretty simple thing, and could be made easily.

I would design a vertical lifr that was anchored to the front corner of the bed. Ideally, your wife would lower the lift, it would allow her to stand on it, hold a simple railing, and lift her the the floor level of the deuce. Then she could sit down on the seat and then pull her legs inside. Close the cab door, activate the reverse on the lift and the lift stores itself against the truck.

I guess my point is to make it so she is able to stand as comfortably as she can, be raised to the level needed to sit. It is best to reduce the number of times you have to rise and sit to as few as possible simply because I know from personal experience that it hurts to get up and down becuase of a bad knee myself.

The easy thing about this is that you only need provide about 3'-6" of lift. We all have seen lift gates unfold, do what they do and fold themselves back up. That is to accommodate 1000 pounds or so. In this case we are talking about a much lighter requirement.

I would think in the all in all, that there are easy and practical ways to allow your wife to enjoy your OD hobby.

Hope this is helpful

RL

Last edited:

gunboy1656

zout

If it is to keep the military "look" and using a ladder system there are a great many foldout systems out in the web - all of this is going to take some sort of fabrication as we all know this. That is if she can climb at whatever angle you would fabricate this into.

A lift system - there are the maintenance crane lifts out there that could safely be made to work - also with fabrication.
If you choose to loose that passenger side door access area military look a hydraulic 12v lift system could be made from liftgate parts - incorporating the hyd motor/pump complete assembly (same used in a snowplow system) with 2 rams and a platform - this would be from a standing position and not considering a wheel chair.

Keep us posted so all the members can help you obtain the desired results.

Some of the above (hyd) components are obtainable and I have access to these and would be willing to help supply.

Oilleaker1

I've seen boarding ladders with a hand rail designed for the shop vans. The hand rail stores under the steps. Could this work for her? You could throw it in the back easily. Check out threads on the classified section for boarding ladders. Possible simple solution .

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the first thing to do is determine how much of a step your wife can tolerate before designing a solution. If she ambulatory and just needs smaller riser steps you may have to make some with a longer run.

What ever you do test it with a lot more weight than her for safety's sake. When we bought the van for my Mother and her electric wheelchair my Brother I and both rode it up and down at the same time for a combined weight of about 6-700 lbs just to make sure it would work for Mom. About three times what her and the chair would weigh.

sw

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks