• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Disassemble geared hubs

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pinion Gear – A pinion is the smaller of two meshed gears in an assembly. Pinions can be either spur or helical type gears, and be either the driving or driven gear, depending on the application. Pinion gears are used in many different types of gearing systems such as ring and pinion or rack and pinion systems.

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pinion Gear – A pinion is the smaller of two meshed gears in an assembly. Pinions can be either spur or helical type gears, and be either the driving or driven gear, depending on the application. Pinion gears are used in many different types of gearing systems such as ring and pinion or rack and pinion systems.

The small gear attached to a motor is referred to as a pinion gear, think starter or small dc motor. The small gear attached to a "shaft" is referred to as a spur gear. JUST my 2 cents.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The small gear attached to a motor is referred to as a pinion gear, think starter or small dc motor. The small gear attached to a "shaft" is referred to as a spur gear. JUST my 2 cents.
Every definition I can find online just says the smaller of two gears. It doesn't specify it by any applications.
The definition I find for spur gears is gears that are on parallel shafts.
According to that, it can be both a pinion gear AND a spur gear in this application.

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Every definition I can find online just says the smaller of two gears. It doesn't specify it by any applications.
The definition I find for spur gears is gears that are on parallel shafts.
According to that, it can be both a pinion gear AND a spur gear in this application.
I'm going to go mow the grass.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going to go mow the grass.
Just started raining here, and I'm supposed to go help my ex wife move to a different apartment. She's moving into a 4th floor apartment, so 3 flights of stairs with her furniture. I'd rather be mowing the grass.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is just wrong, spur refers to the type of teeth a gear has not its application.
What about a ring and pinion gear, no small DC motor there. ;)

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is probably similar to the difference between cranking an engine and turning it over.
On more than one occasion I've read where someone's engine will crank but won't turn over, or will turn over but won't crank.
To me both mean the exact same thing; when you crank the motor you are making it turn over.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess this shows when one makes a comment with the INTENT of making another person look stupid it can certainly backfire.

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess this shows when one makes a comment with the INTENT of making another person look stupid it can certainly backfire.
I thought it was pretty light hearted until now, didn't mean to offend you. Me thinks your skin may be a bit too thin. Just my 2 cents.

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A quick trip to the TM will reveal it’s referred to as “upper spur gear” and it always has been…at least it has in the 25yrs I’ve worked on them,.
I rest my case. And I am not going to discuss what the bearing on the front drive shaft is called either.
BUT, I do want to apologise to VAPOR TRAIL for hijacking his post to air our silly BS to argue about a GEAR. My hat is off to anyone ambitious and talented enough to tear one of these down and repair it!
Hope everyone has a nice day.
THANKS STEVE

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A quick trip to the TM will reveal it’s referred to as “upper spur gear” and it always has been…at least it has in the 25yrs I’ve worked on them,.
Both of the gears in the hub called spur gears and that is technically correct, if you live in the narrow minded would of the HMMWV only then I can understand, but the rest of the mechanical world understands what a pinion gear is.
Even the folks that built it called it a pinion gear.
EDIT: To say it is a spur gear is correct, to say it is not a pinion gear is just plain wrong.
I wonder what the TM calls the helical top gear, to call that a spur gear would be incorrect.

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Both of the gears in the hub called spur gears and that is technically correct, if you live in the narrow minded would of the HMMWV only then I can understand, but the rest of the mechanical world understands what a pinion gear is.
Even the folks that built it called it a pinion gear.
EDIT: To say it is a spur gear is correct, to say it is not a pinion gear is just plain wrong.
LOL, you’re just looking for an argument, not interested…but you’re an expert on everything now that someone gave you mod access.
When a customer calls my shop and is looking for this part, and they do, they ask for the upper spur gear, that’s it…plain and simple, no one in 25yrs has asked for an upper pinion gear, I frankly don’t give a s**t what all the other part names are because I have to go look it up to get the part number, in the PDF using “spur” which produces results….
Now run along

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
LOL, you’re just looking for an argument, not interested…but you’re an expert on everything now that someone gave you mod access.
When a customer calls my shop and is looking for this part, and they do, they ask for the upper spur gear, that’s it…plain and simple, no one in 25yrs has asked for an upper pinion gear, I frankly don’t give a s**t what all the other part names are because I have to go look it up to get the part number, in the PDF using “spur” which produces results….
Now run along
So why do you care so much about what I call it???
I'm not going anywhere!

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
There are plenty of videos on YouTube of assembling the portal axles hubs but none that I found of disassembly. I’ve got the gears out and all the plates off but I don’t know how to get the spindle bearing off and the small gear bearings off without hurting them. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
From gears to pickle's... I thought there was a lot of great information shared. Once and a while the guys in the shop will hide a lunch pail or toss a wrench🛠.

OK, which one of you monkeys ate all the pickles. 🐵🙈🙉🙊

Just another day on the internet shop floor, CAMO

Back at the motorpool words were said........

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks