• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Disaster generators

rustystud

You probably looked very much into this for yourself, any suggestions about brands or models? Or which brands to definitely avoid, which is also helpful.

I know that several cheaper generators use high quality engines, but all diesel gens I saw were over $ 5,000.
There is no "good" cheap diesels out there. All diesels that are halfway decent cost over $5000.00 and up. For the gas units, anyone with a Honda, or Briggs&Stratten Vanguard, engine are usually pretty decent. Stay far away from any of the "off" brand name engines. They all are made in China and are trash engines. Unless you take them totally apart and bring all the parts up to spec. Basically "blue-printing" the engine. I knew a guy who would do this, and the engines would run fairly decently afterwards. Still would not trust one for a back-up generator though. Also try and go with a brushless "self-excited" field generator. The ones that are brushless with capacitors can be OK. As long as you keep extra capacitors on hand.
I know the MEP-531 uses brushes, but they use two sets.

Guyfang

Staff member
You think you are old...I had to google jello-shots.

In in my ignorance, when I was younger, and dumber, I often did things that I will not longer attempt. I have to admit that Jell-O shots and tequila are on that list. Most of the chicks that were along for the ride, no longer are quite so attractive to me.

Chainbreaker

So...any updates on these Anguilla folks dilemma and has a generator selection been determined? Inquiring minds would like to know if they are still w/o power?

Sounds like the situation in Puerto Rico is even more dire.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like the situation in Puerto Rico is even more dire.
My lil brother was going to send some planes down to PR for support, but the logistics is still sketchy, so they are just sending 1 as a guinea pig and a test tickle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks