• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Disc Brake Engineering Thread

rustystud

80k gvw Kenworth trucks, 2015 model year. They are air disks, no hydraulics with the brakes. The switch is optional. The latest drums will pass, but are not as good.

The disk setup is pretty compact. Air can is attached to the caliper, so no rod or cam to adjust or find a place to mount with a conversion.
I need to check this out ! You know they have tried for over 30 years to come up with a viable disc brake option. Now it seems Kenworth has done it. Or Bendix or Haldex or who ever came up with the idea ! The ones I remember always used a rod and apply lever to "squeeze" the pads together. I wonder how much pressure their using ? I might need to make a trip down to Kenworth and see this for myself. Thankfully their only about 40 miles south of me.

rustystud

I found out what is going on. All truck manufacturers must meet new federal guidelines for maximum stopping distance at 60 mph. The only way to meet this is with new "super" drums or the new air-disc brake system. The only way they where able to get the disc brakes to work properly was to make an enclosed system (with a built in lever ! ) that would protect from road debris and allow very accurate application of force to the disc's. Of course road debris is still a problem at the pads as is sticking slides, and they must be checked on a regular basis. One nice advantage is the easy way they allow the pads to be changed out, and the rotors are extra thick ( almost 2" ! ) allowing the same or even greater service life then drums. They are pricey though and there is NO way your could ever adapt them to our application as they must use the whole wheel assembly ie: Caliper assembly, Rotor, Hub assembly, and wheels . They are an integral unit. Really cool though from a mechanics perspective ! The caliper assemblies are not rebuildable at this time so must be replaced as whole units.

I would be interested in disk brakes but not wanting to cut any part of my axles.Ive always been leary of brake failure on any vehicle. My children ride in my truck so I will not go out of factory specs,unless its more or less a bolt in.

red

Rusty there is also another assembly that does not require a different hub. Only 2 different model calipers now, one that's actuated by an air piston and the other is a normal air can. Most use the air can.

If they have some that are designed for the tag axle used by cement trucks we might be able to convert that to the deuce. Same 6 lug pattern, right diameter, and the caliper is compact enough it should clear the front axle steering parts.

For lower price they offer used, rebuilt calipers now. Bendix came down here for a class a few weeks ago.

rustystud

Rusty there is also another assembly that does not require a different hub. Only 2 different model calipers now, one that's actuated by an air piston and the other is a normal air can. Most use the air can.

If they have some that are designed for the tag axle used by cement trucks we might be able to convert that to the deuce. Same 6 lug pattern, right diameter, and the caliper is compact enough it should clear the front axle steering parts.

For lower price they offer used, rebuilt calipers now. Bendix came down here for a class a few weeks ago.
Yes I found Meritor is also making a Disc brake system. It appears that the Bendix system is better for the semi-trucks though. Even if you could adapt the Meritor system to our trucks it will cost more then 3 average deuces ! If your going for the "oddity" factor and have unlimited funds then I would say "go for it !" . But for all practical purposes it is out of range for the average deuce owner. Spend the money going to a dual brake system like the Air-Force deuces. Then add the over size wheel cylinders. The ones Peashooter mentions in his brake post. With two air-pacs and six wheels with 1-1/2" wheel cylinders trust me that truck will STOP ! Now that makes more fiscal sense to me. That leaves me with more money to buy more vehicles !
I forgot to mention. In one of the Bendix videos they mention that you should "avoid" gravel roads as the pebbles can get lodged in the brake pads. So for those who say disc brakes are superior for off-roading, well the facts are against you. I can attest to this fact personally. I live down a 2 mile long dirt road, and just recently a pebble got stuck in my Foresters pads. Before I could get to it, it had ground a nice groove in my rotor. Being the cheapskate that I am, I just put in new pads. Now I have a pulsing brake pedal. I since have bought new rotors and pads. I just need to get motivated to fix it again.

Last edited:

red

I was afraid of the potential price tag, hadn't researched that yet.

I'll be upgrading the brakes on mine around feb-april. Probably dual circuit and add in a couple pinion brakes for a true E brake setup.

rustystud

I was afraid of the potential price tag, hadn't researched that yet.

I'll be upgrading the brakes on mine around feb-april. Probably dual circuit and add in a couple pinion brakes for a true E brake setup.
I like the pinion brake set-up. That way if your driveline breaks you still have emergency braking.

ScubaCat

NECROTHREAD!!!

Ok, so I read about 90% of this thread and occasionally got the deer in the headlights glazed look....I went on and off from reading and comprehending what was said and my brain simply seeing it as "words words words rotor words words cylinder words words"...

So...who makes and sells a kickass disc system and will I need other upgrades to take full advantage, AND if so, is there a kit for that?....

Section8

Boyce Equipment in Utah sells them for sure.
$1350.00 for the front axle kit and $850 for the rear axle kit.
Of course there is applicable taxes I would assume.
That's one seller for sure.
Think C and C Equipment makes and sells them to. Not sure on their price if they do.

Last edited:

Keepthemrunning

Disk brakes on the M35 are a huge improvement on the drivability of the truck. This is not a semi or 40 ton truck. Most are not used for long distance and the safety far out ways the cost.

HanksDeuce

Hydroboost was that an easy conversion? any info pics?
Hardest part of the Hydroboost conversion was working under the dash. I'm not a fat man, but I could see it being a problem to those "gravitationally challenged" steel soldier members. Don't forget that you have to get the brake pedal arm double bent to get closer to the accelerator pedal.

Complete Hydroboost install here:
http://hanksdeuce.com/hydroboost_install.htm

Complete list of all modifications done to my bobber to-date with a separate install page for each with all of the details:
http://hanksdeuce.com/modifications.htm

Might want to have a seat and grab your favorite drink before you click on my modifications page. There's a lot of information on there!

66m35a26x6

Is there anyone out ther that can shed some light.
on why do you have to run to diff rotors front to back
from to diff trucks ford/international.
on m35a2 disc brake conversion.
the reason i ask is the rear napa-up85863 are out of stock<
back order untill they dont know when.
why cant you Just run the ford rotors part#-nb4886056 all the way around
i dont see any diff except hieght.
ford 6.03"
international 6.8" in hieght.
OH AND WHY YOU DID IT THAT WAY<br>
thanks>auarofl

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks