• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Disconnecting rear driveshaft

BlueRoadster

When disconnecting the rear drive shaft is it imperative to make sure the disc goes back the same way. I assume this is a balancer disc. I am going to tow it and the rear 4 bolts seem to be the easiest detach point.

Thanks,
Grant

Action

that is the emergency brake disc. Those are the easiest 4 bolts to remove? What others did you try. Are you leaving the front driveshaft in place?

BlueRoadster

No the front has 4 8mm bolts at the diff. The rear driveshaft has 4 13mm bolts that connect the shaft to the diff but there is a thin disc between the shaft and diff. It is way too thin to be an emergency brake and there are no calipers mounted to it, there is nothing attached to it to be precise.

Thanks,
Grant

BlueRoadster

Also this plate has the flat side facing front and back , all the brakes are facing side to side with the calipers attached.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No the front has 4 8mm bolts at the diff. The rear driveshaft has 4 13mm bolts that connect the shaft to the diff but there is a thin disc between the shaft and diff. It is way too thin to be an emergency brake and there are no calipers mounted to it, there is nothing attached to it to be precise.

Thanks,
Grant
the truck is SAE not Metric, the bolts are 5/8-24 and the straps are 5/16.
but, metric will work as 13mm is an odd size...but to keep it on the up and up....
the motor on the other hand is 99% metric. Mostly 15mm.

Action

That IS the emergency brake disc. I guess the caliper has been removed and the rear brakes upgraded. The disc is a flat piece of metal and is sideways. It wasn't used to stop the humvee only to hold it in place. You should get the proper manuals.
Who knows what will happen if you leave the front driveshaft in place and flat tow it home. Did you remove the tires and check the hub oil and diff oil before you do this?

BlueRoadster

I've got the -10, didn't notice this disc. I am not towing home, I have owned it awhile and am towing it 4 down behind my bus Motorcoach which has airbrakes and will have a secondary brake on the hmmwv. I AM disconnecting the front driveshaft not sure where that came from but I must not have explained it well enough.

Thanks for the advice.

BlueRoadster

I did find it in the -10 now (I had to look a bit closer, lol) but, I have the disc but no caliper so as you said it must have been upgraded because I have a great e-brake.

So I guess my next question would be, could I remove this disc or should I just leave it?

Thanks,
GRant