• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dismounting Tires With HiLift Jack

frodobaggins

This is how I dismounted tires this weekend. Works decent if you pay attention.
Make sure you stay out of the way of handles, keep your tongue behind your teeth etc.

While this did what I need, I'm building a hydraulic breaker for next time.

I used a piece of I beam and strapped the tire to it to keep it from leaning.
Used another strap to secure the jack against and under the rim.
A piece of rope to keep the jack from leaning over when positioning and letting off.
Some soap for lube when needed. Misc pry bars, hammers etc.
Wish I had one of those big screwdriver pry bars to fit in the notch in the ring.

There is also a picture of the washing machine motor free box fan from work, a necessity in this triple digit heat !

Attachments

waayfast

Ah! Another ingenious use for the ol' ACME Mark VII Lip splitter!

Thanks for posting, I have a big tire project coming up soon so I'm considering any and all ideas.

Jim

bigjmcconnell

Looks like something I would do. [thumbzup] I have broken lots of beads with the highlift but never a duece tire. Looking fwd to seeing how that new rubber goes on for you, I'd like to try the same thing.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My dad and I used a highlift to brake down tractor tires a number of times.
I also remember it was a big job!!!

Good luck with the tires![thumbzup]

frodobaggins

I got my air compressor fixed this weekend, gonna blast the rims as soon as I have time.

Funny, gas air compressors don't like to run on water.

hdmax

A Tire Bead Breaking Hammer would have made light work of that in a fraction of the time. And the split rim isn't broke down until after the bead is broke loose.
And as for removing the split rim ring, a couple medium screw drivers and a hammer is all that's needed.
I can almost always break down a split rim with tire in less then 5 minutes each, some times in just a minute or two.

The truck is going to look very good with the new tires!

You mean you did not pop the locking ring out before you broke the bead?? If that was the case no wonder it was a _itch!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
TaylorTradingCo (Derrick) loaned me an electric jack hammer.....I used it to break down one tire already but it will eat your lunch......it does break the bead easy if you lube it up with Dawn and water.

I'll post pics later.

oddshot

Iit does break the bead easy if you lube it up with Dawn and water.

A man walks into a bar ... the bartender asks ... "What'll it be?"

The guys says ... "I'll have a Dawn and Water ... and keep 'em coming. I gotta break down a couple Deuce wheels and some guy named Wreckerman says its a good idea to get good and lubed first!"

:grin:

oddshot

goldneagle

That just seems like way too much work just to dismount a tire! I know a tire service guy that will come out with his service truck and do the tires right at my location. My SUPER SINGLES project on my M820 5 ton was about $300.

That included mounting 6 14.00/20's on new Hemtt rims, removing 10 11.00/20's from the truck, providing and installing 20 new bud stems and nuts, and mounting the new tires on the truck.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks