• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Diving in for a Deuce.....

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
OK, finally some Deuces popped near me, I am going to inspect soon. Is there a pre-bid checklist to adhere to in order to find one that is driveable?, during inspection will the good folks at GL allow you to try to start the truck, or are you at the mercy of Murphy......

I have looked at the pickup checklist, but was wondering if there are any obvious things to look for while inspectingp prebid.

I have convinced my wife that I need a Deuce for gathering firewood, and just to have ;)

...wait, I used the firewood thing when I bought the 1008.....

FMJ

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The only way to know you have a driveable unit is to go preview it and.....drive it. Good luck with that. Some sites will let you start 'em (Ft. Gillem, Ga. for one) some won't. I highly doubt they are going to let you test drive one. If it starts, you need to let it run enough to see if it has any overheating, oil pressure or major leakage issues. You will need to check everything that holds some kind of fluid (well, you can probably ignore the winch {if equipped} for now :p ).

One SS member bid on what he thought was a good truck and got there to find a chunk missing out of the transfer case. So your evaluation needs to be thorough.

Reason for the Deuce? To recover the 1008 when it goes down. Now you need a medium towbar for the ruse to work :D

Here is an outstanding list, compiled by Maccus for GL pickups:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=170173

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Re: RE: Diving in for a Deuce.....

clinto said:
The only way to know you have a driveable unit is to go preview it and.....drive it. Good luck with that. Some sites will let you start 'em (Ft. Gillem, Ga. for one) some won't. I highly doubt they are going to let you test drive one. If it starts, you need to let it run enough to see if it has any overheating, oil pressure or major leakage issues. You will need to check everything that holds some kind of fluid (well, you can probably ignore the winch {if equipped} for now :p ).

One SS member bid on what he thought was a good truck and got there to find a chunk missing out of the transfer case. So your evaluation needs to be thorough.

Reason for the Deuce? To recover the 1008 when it goes down. Now you need a medium towbar for the ruse to work :D

Here is an outstanding list, compiled by Maccus for GL pickups:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=170173
Thanks, I hope they will at least allow me to try to start them.....

area52

RE: Re: RE: Diving in for a Deuce.....

Are you going for the ones in Santa Fe? I just won one there on the last auction. What part of NM are you in?

I can give you a hand if needed.

spentshell

RE: Re: RE: Diving in for a Deuce.....

I have convinced my wife that I need a Deuce for gathering firewood, and just to have

Good luck with that one, mine didnt talk to me for a month. She definatly doesnt like it parked at home so I only bring it home on some weekends.I think its starting to grow on her especially after I hauled away some debri that was in the back yard for a while.My nine year old son asked her how come you dont like dads truck its cool ,she replied even if I did like the truck you'll never know. Give me one more week and I bet I'll have her going to the grocery store in it.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Re: RE: Re: RE: Diving in for a Deuce.....

area52 said:
Are you going for the ones in Santa Fe? I just won one there on the last auction. What part of NM are you in?

Shhhhhh, the ones in Santa Fe are a secret known only to me, and now you have ruined it.....

I'm going up to look next week, I'm hoping to get one that I can drive back to Las Cruces, and any insight/help is appreciated.

Was yours driveable?, any probs getting it home?

area52

FMJ said:
area52 said:

Shhhhhh, the ones in Santa Fe are a secret known only to me, and now you have ruined it.....

I'm going up to look next week, I'm hoping to get one that I can drive back to Las Cruces, and any insight/help is appreciated.

I broke the cardinal rule and bid site unseen. I just won it so I am waiting on my EUC to clear.

They all look(ed) very good and they are coming from the NM national guard so I am guessing they will be in very good shape. Even if they don't run, you can still part it out and make your money back.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial

area52 said:
FMJ said:
area52 said:

I broke the cardinal rule and bid site unseen. I just won it so I am waiting on my EUC to clear.

They all look(ed) very good and they are coming from the NM national guard so I am guessing they will be in very good shape. Even if they don't run, you can still part it out and make your money back.
Well, good luck!!!!, I'm going to investigate, crawl in, under, on and take pics.....
Do you have a plan in case it's not road worthy?

ah1955

As far as starting trucks that is different from site to site and maybe from day to day, depending on mood.
I can understand not letting people start them becouse would always have the chance of some fool flooring one as soon as it fired and just destroy a good motor.
Your just going to have to use some common senece and just look close at the normal stuff, holes in drive train cases, rad.signs of leaks or broken, dash intact, tires missing cut bad( would not let a flat scare you), glass,major fluid leaks.
Look it over like any used vehicle you would buy, just remember that it's an old army truck and you might have to trade off somethings and it will need some work that is some of the fun and chalange of the adveture

jatonka

I bid nowadays without inspecting them. But I bid low enough so I can justify a serious repair bill if they are not what I hoped for. I also have my own lowboy and that helps a lot. John T