• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DIY camper box construction- what sizes/wall thickness steel or alu have you used?

MRAP DREAM GIRL

The key to the West System is the perfect environment. Not too hot and not too cold. Also making sure that it is mixed thoroughly and applied fast. Buy their pumps and when they get nasty replace them.

coachgeo

Thought you couldn't post links to other sites, my bad. She is all over the web Tiffany the Dragon Wagon or Dragon Wagon Camper build or www.arkapocalyptic.blogspot.com. She is part of our business and home away from home when on location.
links to things are fine (except auctions) . Might have found it though if you had mentioned dragon wagon. Only thing to go by was MRAP Dream Girl"

firefinder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
West Systems epoxy is widely used in the maritime industry. They are good folks to work with too. West Systems has a method to bond just about anything to anything. They have detailed instructions and videos on their website. Customer support is also available for more unusual items.

SikaFlex has several products for bonding, sealing and adhesive applications.

Dicor is an excellent lap sealant for pass thru applications.

I believe all of these items are available from multiple vendors and online.

MRAP DREAM GIRL

Rustystud, firefinder basically gave the total summary of the WEST SYSTEM. Great products great people. We typically buy from West Marine locally. They have a price match program that we haven't been able to out due, and amazon has it as well if you want it delivered.

rustystud

West Systems epoxy is widely used in the maritime industry. They are good folks to work with too. West Systems has a method to bond just about anything to anything. They have detailed instructions and videos on their website. Customer support is also available for more unusual items.

SikaFlex has several products for bonding, sealing and adhesive applications.

Dicor is an excellent lap sealant for pass thru applications.

I believe all of these items are available from multiple vendors and online.
Thank you !

Larry Weibert

The buses here use "Sikaflex" and rivets to hold on the aluminum panels. The stuff works great ! If the metal is clean, the bond you get is tremendous.
I just started following this tread. Just thinking but what Rusty said on tread 24 about buses and rivets. What if you cut the back section off a bus so you have the large door and back panel. If you changed the window design area you could loose the bus look, The roof is already rounded. I guess if you wanted it would probably accept a canvas cover if you wanted it to almost look original or to protect it as a cover if its stored outside when not in use. Just thinking as I have been wanting to build one as well and have been drawn to the bus motor and trannys lots of parts for not much money.

JW7tonWY

I am really enjoying all this information and discussion. I am doing this kind of build but on a heavier truck -MTVR. I am hoping to use the stock military bed as it has a torsion system built into it. Since I know some what less then nothing about all this kind of thing I want to thank you all for your homework and opinions. Very helpful.

I have been "stretching" our truck trying to see what kind of torque it would have in normal use, with our Home on it I won't be going crazy on road choices and we hope to bring the M715 along (trailered) on most trips for those hard to reach areas. I do hope the OEM bed is going to work out, given its design with cam locks for c-cans it give me hope it will flex and be strong enough.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks