• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DIY Ground Harness (look correct? )

RJTM998

So I did a DIY ground harness and wanted to see if you guys thought it looked correct. One from the start box, one from the alternator, one from the firewall, one from the starter. All going to the ground on the back of the block.

I did end up using separate rings to the block ground instead of a central ring connection.

10 gauge wire, quality connectors, and shrink tube was used.

If I were to give any advice it would do each wire one at a time starting at the connection point, pull your wire to the connection point on the block and then cut. I ended up wasting some wire because I made some to long and ended up cutting so it would be a cleaner application without excess wire.

I did unhook the battery during installation just as a precaution.

Pictures showing each connection point.

Attachments

Hummer Guy

So I did a DIY ground harness and wanted to see if you guys thought it looked correct. One from the start box, one from the alternator, one from the firewall, one from the starter. All going to the ground on the back of the block.

I did end up using separate rings to the block ground instead of a central ring connection.

10 gauge wire, quality connectors, and shrink tube was used.

If I were to give any advice it would do each wire one at a time starting at the connection point, pull your wire to the connection point on the block and then cut. I ended up wasting some wire because I made some to long and ended up cutting so it would be a cleaner application without excess wire.

I did unhook the battery during installation just as a precaution.

Pictures showing each connection point.
Looks correct to me

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you ground a starter, it should be 0 gauge. Personally, I would not ground the starter. I would however pass a 0-gauge from the engine block to the frame and body if you are worried about the starter ground not being robust. Then ground the frame and body to the batteries with another 0-gauge.

Last edited:

Hummer Guy

When you ground a starter, it should be 0 gauge. Personally, I would not ground the starter. I would however pass a 0-gauge from the engine block to the frame and body if you are worried about the starter ground not being robust. Then found the dram and body to the batteries with another 0-gauge.
What about the alternator? I hear mix things about adding the extra ground to them

RJTM998

When you ground a starter, it should be 0 gauge. Personally, I would not ground the starter. I would however pass a 0-gauge from the engine block to the frame and body if you are worried about the starter ground not being robust. Then found the dram and body to the batteries with another 0-gauge.
My mechanic "The Humvee Wisperer" said everything looked good. Guess I will roll as is.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks