• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DN4M/LPW4/MEP-803A Gen Set

vjogitte

Hi guys! I just joined the site looking for some help with this gen set MEP-803A I purchased on the GovPlanet auction. After purchasing it as a nonoperational check item I brought it home add new oil and filter and 2 new batteries when I tried to crank it the stator turns with a grinding sound but not the engine, I tried to turn the engine manually at the crank pulley bolt it wouldn't turn, come to realize there was a small crack on the engine block, seems like it threw a rod and the crankshaft split which is why the stator turns when I tried to start it.

Any idea where I can get a replacement engine? or please if anyone has a parts engine laying around please let me know. Thanks

Last edited:

Ray70

Welcome to he site, you will find a lot of great help here. Unfortunately a spare running DN4M will be somewhat scarce, might be easier to locate a cheap MEP-813 ( 400 hz. generator ) and take the motor out of that, since it is identical.
Also, you should correct the title of your thread to 803 , not 808 as some folks will pass right by thinking you have some gigantic power plant, not a 4 cyl. 10K.

vjogitte

Welcome to he site, you will find a lot of great help here. Unfortunately a spare running DN4M will be somewhat scarce, might be easier to locate a cheap MEP-813 ( 400 hz. generator ) and take the motor out of that, since it is identical.
Also, you should correct the title of your thread to 803 , not 808 as some folks will pass right by thinking you have some gigantic power plant, not a 4 cyl. 10K.
Thanks for the info on the 813 I will check on that and also thanks for the correction I didn't realize I had the typo.

jmenende

I bought a running 803 on govplanet last month. Guys here on Steelsoldiers were a big help in getting in operating in tip top shape. I love the idea of getting an engine from a 400hz unit. Good luck.
I actually just received my 813a today. Bought it to to replace a seized 803a. Spare parts is what these 400hz units are good for. You can use the genhead as a good boat anchor. Let the fun begin.

Last edited:

vjogitte

I might have access to a locked up 4 cylinder engine. I have not evaluated it, but I know where one is if you were interested.
Sorry for the late reply, but sure I like to check it out, hopefully it's something I can turn the crank and put a new set of bearing in, please let me know.

Last edited:

Ray70

Just an FYI, 99% of the time the reason the LPW4's get stuck is due to water in the cylinders ( down the exhaust )
causing the pistons to get stuck.
Many times you can free them up, hone the cylinders ( replace rings if necessary ) and be good to go.
A couple times I have had to go .010" over and get oversized pistons, which are readily available fairly cheap online.
Pretty easy to totally rebuild these motors if necessary, and parts are pretty easy to find, you just need to know how to look to get the best prices. ( search by engine name, not generator model )

vjogitte

In my case I think the crankshaft split, I haven’t taken it apart yet but I noticed a little crack on one side of the block indicating a damaged rod. I also search under DN4M and LPW4

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Search LISTER PETTER ONAN DN4 DIESEL ENGINE on eBay. You will see a group called Adelmans has (2) nonturning engines in stock. This company does not have an excelent reputation, but its a start.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks