• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Do all 6.5's have a valley drain?

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the injection pump and intake off of my 6.5, I wanted to clear the valley drain that obviously stopped up and ruined my pump. But I can't locate it at the back of the valley. Looking at the left rear of the engine near the bellhousing/transmission, I found about a 1/4" hole I assumed was the exit drain. I tried to clean it out but quickly realized it has a metal plug in it. I verified it with a mirror. So my question is do they all have a drain?

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know about a plug in it, but that metal tube is your drain. It runs behind the engine block
Problem is I can't find the hole in the valley with my screwdriver and there's no way to actually see the tube on the back of the engine. Does the tube actually protrude out of the block a little? I only have a hole with the metal plug.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The holes were plugged during rebuild of the motor, for some odd reason they removed the tube and plugged the hole.
non rebuilt motors I have, all have a working drain hole. This drain clogs almost instantly if anything get in the valley of the motor.
its a piss poor design.

MattNC

When my lines were leaking from the IP I discovered the drain was the accelerator, steering wheel or brake. All were highly effectively at getting all the leaked diesel that pooled directly onto my exhaust, starter, inner doghouse cover and then seeping into the cab.

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When my lines were leaking from the IP I discovered the drain was the accelerator, steering wheel or brake. All were highly effectively at getting all the leaked diesel that pooled directly onto my exhaust, starter, inner doghouse cover and then seeping into the cab.
Thankfully mine was just water standing!

DADPOOL1123

With the injection pump and intake off of my 6.5, I wanted to clear the valley drain that obviously stopped up and ruined my pump. But I can't locate it at the back of the valley. Looking at the left rear of the engine near the bellhousing/transmission, I found about a 1/4" hole I assumed was the exit drain. I tried to clean it out but quickly realized it has a metal plug in it. I verified it with a mirror. So my question is do they all have a drain?
I have been having some fuel/water collect in the valley lately. I had hoped to just clear out the drain tube, but discovered mine is also blocked/plugged. In your post you mention that the stopped up drain ruined your pump. How did it ruin the pump? Will mine be ruined if I don't keep the valley clear? I cannot locate the source of the fuel leak yet.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been having some fuel/water collect in the valley lately. I had hoped to just clear out the drain tube, but discovered mine is also blocked/plugged. In your post you mention that the stopped up drain ruined your pump. How did it ruin the pump? Will mine be ruined if I don't keep the valley clear? I cannot locate the source of the fuel leak yet.
I’ve posted several times that the Melton rebuild motors in most of these USMC trucks have the drain tube removed and the drain hole plugged.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks