• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Do I need a new temp sensor?

QuickSilver

The GP system in Tank is in good working order. I just installed brand new glow plugs, and she starts from cold perfectly. The issue I have is that if I run her then leave her sit for an hour or two, then go to start her again, she'll never turn on the plugs, and consequently spit and sputter until she warms back up. I'm wondering if maybe the temp sensor is sending the wrong info telling the GP system that things are hotter than they truly are. Ideas?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Timer?

Test it as the TM details.

Last edited:

QuickSilver

I've checked the entire system out top to bottom. It works perfectly when it's cold. The more research and digging I do on this, I'm finding that it's a very common issue on 6.2s, even when they were brand new. TMs aren't helpful. I'm starting to think that the fix may be more of a modification than a repair. I was hoping to keep the stock system intact, but maybe I'll have to go the manual push button route.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just add a manual backup switch to the GP system. All you need is a single wire to the Relay post with the blue wire (normally bottom), a switch and then second wire to ground. Very simple.

That way there is no cutting the stock harness.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What was the resistance of your sensor, when you checked the entire system out from top to bottom?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
But what about his timer?

QuickSilver

Just add a manual backup switch to the GP system. All you need is a single wire to the Relay post with the blue wire (normally bottom), a switch and then second wire to ground. Very simple.

That way there is no cutting the stock harness.
That sounds like the best way to go. Having the stock system still function is the way I would prefer. It's really only a problem in the summertime when it gets pretty hot out. In the cooler months she never has an issue. I think I'll make this my afternoon project. Thanks.

QuickSilver

What was the resistance of your sensor, when you checked the entire system out from top to bottom?
Well, gee boss, that would depend on the temperature now wouldn't it? I don't appreciate your smart alec tone. If you don't want to help, that's cool, then don't post.

kennys@wi.rr.com

Personally I think he was being a big help. If you really want help from a person that knows these trucks, I think a guy that has a fix named after him would be the guy to trust and make nice with. Might I point you to the search function and have you enter in "doghead relay mod". But I think he used the TM to come up with that idea. Such a smart alec that he tries to lead a member to a solution.

98taco3

Any answer to a problem with any vehicle is contained within the TM and its troubleshooting procedures. DH is one of the most knowlegable people on here about cucvs. Did you test the individual components with a multi meter to confirm correct operation? Test the temp sender with an ohm meter to see if its resistance is off? That is the only way you will test that component.

QuickSilver

Any answer to a problem with any vehicle is contained within the TM and its troubleshooting procedures. DH is one of the most knowlegable people on here about cucvs. Did you test the individual components with a multi meter to confirm correct operation? Test the temp sender with an ohm meter to see if its resistance is off? That is the only way you will test that component.
Yes I did. doghead, if I took your post in the wrong light, then I sincerely apologize for my outburst. I took it as "No you didn't dude. If you did then what was the resistance?" I may have read way too much into that. Sorry.