• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"Do not park in gear"

dittle

Just a side note and funny story. Some of my old unit went to Germany to help train some units in Armor and were issued M60a3 tanks as OPFOR. On manuvers one of the tanks tried to climb a nasty grade. It stalled and rolled backwards. The guys in the tank found out real quick that the intake spews into the crew compartment.

I also heard of M60s popping on thier own and crawling across the motor pool bumping and starting other friends along the way. Hillarity ensues.

Not a case of piston engined tanks doing this, but we had M1s firing up on occasion in our motor pool in the Cav. They are autos so they don't take a jog, just run till someone notices.
An M60A3 is an automatic as well. It won't bump start unless someone leaves it in gear. Yes, there is a TM procedure on how to pull start an M60.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a side note and funny story. Some of my old unit went to Germany to help train some units in Armor and were issued M60a3 tanks as OPFOR. On manuvers one of the tanks tried to climb a nasty grade. It stalled and rolled backwards. The guys in the tank found out real quick that the intake spews into the crew compartment.

I also heard of M60s popping on thier own and crawling across the motor pool bumping and starting other friends along the way. Hillarity ensues.

Not a case of piston engined tanks doing this, but we had M1s firing up on occasion in our motor pool in the Cav. They are autos so they don't take a jog, just run till someone notices.
What an image that paints. Wish there were pictures..or videos.. rofl

mudguppy

In my 48 years of working on cars, I've seen carbureted gasoline engines run backwards several times.
They usually run poorly, and with very little power, but they do run.
I think if the timing is off, an engine can "kick back" on starting & run backwards.
I also remember push starting an old Dodge Power Wagon. The driver put it in reverse & the engine ran backwards. Twice!
what exactly is the fuel source when a carb'd engine is running backwards?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks