• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Do the Doghead Mod!

Corvette1974

Just a little bit of personal experience to pass on.....do the Doghead mod! The other day I was at the bank and my starter relay (the stock kind) stuck and the starter ran away on my 1986 M1028. Luckily I had an adjustable wrench in the cab and disconnected the battery in about 30 seconds. The starter even tried to crank on only one battery. :evil:

The relay in question was a made in USA replacement that I put in about 2 years/10k miles ago. I was planning on doing the DH mod but I thought this would tide me over until this summer. Well I was wrong and almost caused major damage to the truck. All she needed was a tow from my friend about a mile to my house, and a new proper relay.

Luckily no damage occurred and NAPA had the relay in stock. Truck works perfectly and there is a nice "Click" of confidence of a 200 amp rated relay on cranking.

Thanks to Doghead, and if you haven't done it, bring it to number 1 priority, or keep an adjustable wrench for when it will happen. I should have just done it in the first place.

Will

2HIJOS2126

I concur... My starter decided to blow up on me last week, and I firmly believe that if I had not done the Doghead mod shortly after purchasing my M1028, it could have done a lot of damage when it decided to let loose...

Corvette1974

Everyone needs a CUCV :driver::grin:

It was definitely an "Oh S***" moment when it happened. I knew immediately and just sprang to action. I also kept a pair of wire cutters in my glovebox for when this happened, but the adjustable was at the ready so I used that instead. Everyone was looking at me like I was insane, cursing and flying around a seemingly possessed vehicle haha

Will