• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Do the Doghead Mod!

Corvette1974

Just a little bit of personal experience to pass on.....do the Doghead mod! The other day I was at the bank and my starter relay (the stock kind) stuck and the starter ran away on my 1986 M1028. Luckily I had an adjustable wrench in the cab and disconnected the battery in about 30 seconds. The starter even tried to crank on only one battery. :evil:

The relay in question was a made in USA replacement that I put in about 2 years/10k miles ago. I was planning on doing the DH mod but I thought this would tide me over until this summer. Well I was wrong and almost caused major damage to the truck. All she needed was a tow from my friend about a mile to my house, and a new proper relay.

Luckily no damage occurred and NAPA had the relay in stock. Truck works perfectly and there is a nice "Click" of confidence of a 200 amp rated relay on cranking.

Thanks to Doghead, and if you haven't done it, bring it to number 1 priority, or keep an adjustable wrench for when it will happen. I should have just done it in the first place.

Will

2HIJOS2126

I concur... My starter decided to blow up on me last week, and I firmly believe that if I had not done the Doghead mod shortly after purchasing my M1028, it could have done a lot of damage when it decided to let loose...

Corvette1974

Everyone needs a CUCV :driver::grin:

It was definitely an "Oh S***" moment when it happened. I knew immediately and just sprang to action. I also kept a pair of wire cutters in my glovebox for when this happened, but the adjustable was at the ready so I used that instead. Everyone was looking at me like I was insane, cursing and flying around a seemingly possessed vehicle haha

Will

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks