• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Do the Gov Liq vehicle ratings mean anything?

dlieber

I just bought my first MV ever and am waiting for my EUC.

The video's show it to run and be in good shape but the forums indicate that my fantasy of going to pick up & drive home with no worries is shaky at best. Everything looked good on the video from the GL and it had a "B4" rating, not the "H7".

It is a 2009 Red River M925....anyone with experiences with the rating system gone bad or the Red River? I don't want to have to arrange for a recovery and I want the joy of driving my truck on "christmas day"....but I want to be realistic (kind of)

KsM715

Those ratings often mean nothing. Its a system the military uses when they run stuff thru the supply system.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
basically, the ratings don't mean diddly squat when it comes to picking up and driving a vehicle home.

The rating will not tell you if the truck has any brakes at all, it will not tell you if the lighting circuits are fried. It will not tell you if the truck is able to be moved under it's own power.

The fact that your's shows a video of it running is a good sign, but still far from positive proof that it's road worthy.

Good luck with your upcoming recovery

preyn2

Research the condition codes. They're pretty vague. Remember, the codes were applied to the machine when it ended its service life and entered the surplus/disposal system, which could be several years before it makes its way to our favorite auction site. It may have been taken out of service for no reason other than it was replaced by something newer, but once it was parked, parts could have been scavenged, preventative maintenance definitely stopped happening, and minor leaks eventually drained all the fluids. Critters take up residence.

Flyingvan911

My deuce was listed as being one level above scrap metal. We did a thorough check and did not require any work to make it safe to drive off the lot. We did top off the grease but that's all it needed.

3dAngus

B4 is a rarely used code. It might have been used by a conscientious troop who actually used the correct code, but as stated several times here, it usually means nothing, especially after sitting for a while.

B4 means serviceable and usuable without extensive maintenance. Used by one who may not be totally objective. It could be a refurbished machine that would warrant such a coding upon turnin.

Don't rely on any codes, none-the-less. The coding system is often abused. Some units, for instance, cannot turn certain items in unless "F", "G", or "H" coded, meaning they are condemned and unusable. "F" usually means it can be repaired, but this is one I would be most reluctant to believe in. It might be running, but then, it might not either, and may not be economically feasible to repair, thus the turn-in.

Your best bet is a good and full screening prior to a bid. If not possible due to long distance, solicit a fellow SSer to take a look for you. Most will do it to help out for a nominal fee to cover fuel and donuts for the locals. Due to fluid checks and starting issues, as well as testing brakes if possible, expect a little more for their time on vehicles then any other.
$35-75 might cover it. Some, going in the local area anyway for their own personal screening, might do it for free.

Codes as follows:
FEDERAL CONDITION CODES​
This is a two-character combination of the​
“Supply” code and the “Disposal” code. The
Hand Receipt Holder (HRH) turning the excess items to the Property Disposal Office
assigns the Supply code; it is always the first position of the Federal condition code. The
Property Disposal Officer (PDO) assigns the Disposal code after inspection of the item,
which provides additional information for screening purposes.

Supply Code:
A – Serviceable​
- Issuable without Qualifications
New, used, repaired, reconditioned material that is serviceable and usable to all customers
without limitation or restrictions

B – Serviceable​
Issuable with Qualifications
New, used repaired, or reconditioned material which is serviceable and usable for its intended
purpose but which is restricted from issue to specific units, activities, or geographical areas by
reason of its limited usefulness or short service life expectancy

C – Serviceable​
Priority Issue
Items which are serviceable and issuable to selected customers, but which must be issued before
Condition A and B material to avoid loss as a usable asset.

D – Serviceable​
Test/Modification
Serviceable material that requires test, alteration, modification, conversion or disassembly. This
does not include items that must be inspected or tested immediately prior to issue.

E – Unserviceable​
– Limited Restoration
Items that involves only limited expense or effort to restore to serviceable condition and which is
accomplished in the Property Disposal Warehouse where the items are located.

F – Unserviceable​
Reparable
Economically reparable items which requires repair, overhaul, or reconditioning.

G – Unserviceable​
Incomplete
Items requiring additional parts or components to complete the end items prior to issue

H – Unserviceable​
Condemned
Items that have been determined to be unserviceable and do not meet repair criteria

S – Unserviceable - Scrap
Disposal Code:
1 – Excellent​
Property that is in new condition or unused condition and can be used immediately without
modifications or repairs.​
4 – Usable​
Property that shows some wear, but can be used without significant repair​
7 – Reparable​
Property that is unusable in its current condition, but can be economically repaired

X – Salvage​
Property that has some value in excess of its basic material content, but repair or rehabilitation is
impractical and/or uneconomical​
S – Scrap​
Property that has no value except for basic material content.​
Acceptable Federal Condition Codes (Combinations of the​
Supply and Disposal

Condition Codes) are as follows:​
A1, A4
B1, B4
C1, C4
D1, D4, D7
E7
F7, FX
G7. GX
H7, HX​
SS

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought an H7 and after checking it over, new batteries, filters, and fixing some air leaks drove it home 2700 miles pulling a trailer.
I've driven several home and had some hauled. It's not a perfect science.
Codes are not reliable.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks