• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Do you own a 4 speed R1?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a question for those that own a M1097R1 with 4 speed and serpentine belts.
What is your GVWR listed on the data plate??
I just bought a R1 that is apparently equipped like an A2 with 4 speed, serpentine belt etc. but it has a GVWR listed as 10K, I would have thought it would be 10300lb like the basic A2.
So I am wondering if my truck is a legit R1 or did the data plate get swapped somewhere along the way, it has a 570K serial number which is not what I normally see on the three speed R1 trucks
All of the three speed R1 trucks I have seen have a low 500K or 600K serial number so it may be "legit"

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess to answer my own question, I did some searching on GP and the R1 trucks with 57XXXX serial numbers are all 4 speed trucks.
I of course I am waiting on the EUC but will be interested to see the rest of it, I assume it will have the 12K hubs etc.
It is interesting they did not give a different model number to the A2 trucks :eek:

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was notified the EUC was submitted and later the same day it was approved, so it does get faster the more times you submit an EUC.
Will go and pick up my new treasure early next week.
I am surprised I have not heard from any other 4 speed R1 owners...

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All of the R1s I've seen on the auction site have been 3-speeds. I keep looking for a nice 4-speed, but so far nothing reasonable that I've seen in my part of the country. I guess I'll have to look more closely at the R1s again fi some DO have 4-speed.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All of the R1s I've seen on the auction site have been 3-speeds. I keep looking for a nice 4-speed, but so far nothing reasonable that I've seen in my part of the country. I guess I'll have to look more closely at the R1s again fi some DO have 4-speed.
I just look at the serial numbers when looking, all the 4 speeds I have seen have 57X,K serial numbers but there have not been many.
The one I bought was the first one I have seen at the yard I like to go to in TX, not that some may have not slipped by, almost all selling down here are 3 speed with very few A2s mixed in.

Last edited:

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had two 4 speed R1 trucks. One was an oddball with CTIS, tach on the passenger side dash, and more. Both came out of RRAD released batches of trucks.

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just look at the serial numbers when looking, all the 4 speeds I have seen have 570K serial numbers but there have not been many.
The one I bought was the first one I have seen at the yard I like to go to in TX, not that some may have not slipped by, almost all selling down here are 3 speed with very few A2s mixed in.
According to the scuttlebut.... R1's between 500000 and 549000 get the 3l80 and those between 570000 and 599000 get a 4l80..... Don't ask I have no idea what happened between 549001 and 569999...... FYI to be taken with a grain of salt.... and it's FREE.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All of the 2009 and 2010 R1s I searched for are 4 speed, but the one I just bought was a 2008 and that year is mostly 3 speed.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
According to the scuttlebut.... R1's between 500000 and 549000 get the 3l80 and those between 570000 and 599000 get a 4l80..... Don't ask I have no idea what happened between 549001 and 569999...... FYI to be taken with a grain of salt.... and it's FREE.
And everything I've heard of with serial numbers above 600000 have been 3 speeds

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And everything I've heard of with serial numbers above 600000 have been 3 speeds
I happened upon this information while trying to determine which 1097's that were overhauled in TX got 4l85's but hit a dead end. Some people with 1097's night have trucks with 4l85's but no way to tell without opening it up. FYI

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I happened upon this information while trying to determine which 1097's that were overhauled in TX got 4l85's but hit a dead end. Some people with 1097's night have trucks with 4l85's but no way to tell without opening it up. FYI
the difference of a 4L80 and 4L85 is “5”, it means nothing…the 80e isn’t mfg’d any longer at GEP, the 85e is just an update.
for Hmmwv’s this really means nothing because the TD only Puts out 190-200HP. These updates were really more for Civilian application vehicles.

Some of these differences include:

• The 4L85E transmission is rated up to 460 lb-ft, but the 4L80E is rated up to 440 lb-ft.
    • The 4L85E transmission featured a five-pinion reaction gearset and a five-pinion output gearset.
Some parts that were improved in the 4L85E were:

• Input and reaction carriers.
    • Improved overdrive planet and drum.

Last edited:

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the difference of a 4L80 and 4L85 is “5”, it means nothing…the 80e isn’t mfg’d any longer at GEP, the 85e is just an update.
for Hmmwv’s this really means nothing because the TD only Puts out 190-200HP. These updates were really more for Civilian application vehicles.

Some of these differences include:

• The 4L85E transmission is rated up to 460 lb-ft, but the 4L80E is rated up to 440 lb-ft.
    • The 4L85E transmission featured a five-pinion reaction gearset and a five-pinion output gearset.
Some parts that were improved in the 4L85E were:

• Input and reaction carriers.
    • Improved overdrive planet and drum.
YUP, not a big difference at all. The 5 gear planetaries is the big thing on the 85e. The GTP trans. all have most of the heavier pieces already. BUT, since you have saved me so much money in the past I now have money to spend on the next truck. The 1123, 99.5% stock is gifted to the 4 year old grandson, ( daughter in law, not too happy) . Next truck 1151ish, not too stock, gifted to the 4 month old(daughter in law still not happy). Can't please them all!
For anyone interested NMWR 9-2520-582 is interesting reading.
THANKS

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks