• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Do you think a M1009 would fit my needs? (FNG alert)

bitteramerican762

My job as a train conductor has me staying in another town a few days every week. I've been looking for a truck/suv to park at my hotel and use it to travel to my job (about 5-10 miles away). I'd also use it to go see my father who lives about 40 miles away. I'm not much of a mechanic (outside of oil changes) so if this is something that will always be broken down, I'll look for something more dependable.

Here's why I'm looking at the M1009:
People say its Idiot proof (Thats comforting to know). I want something that gets okay milage. I'll need something able to get me home (200 miles) . I'd get a good tune-up done to it and upgrade the fuel filter system to something like FASS (if its available) before I take it to my away from home location. My last truck was a Dodge/Cummins, so I know a little bit about diesels, just not a lot on the 6.2L.....yet.

What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:

Gripy

Once its fixed up it will be a champ. But it all depends on the one you get and what it has been through.

For example when I first got my m1008 couple of weeks later the tranny blew and the radiator cracked. But everything for it is relatively cheap and straight forward. I bought my truck as a toy first, daily driver 2nd.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First off Welcome to the site.

Second, this is not a SHTF site. If that is what you want you need to look elsewhere. Thoses discussions are not allowed here.

Third, the M1009 will suit your needs BUT they are 25+ years old and do required maintenance. While they are super simple to work on, finding a mechanic to work on it is getting harder to do everyday. Seems like most of today's mechanics won't touch it unless they can hook a diagnostic machine to it and have the computer tell them what to do. Most guys end up doing their own work.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are humans EMP proof?

My advice is, no, it's not the vehicle for you.

MarcusOReallyus

I'm not much of a mechanic (outside of oil changes) so if this is something that will always be broken down, I'll look for something more dependable.

People say its Idiot proof (Thats comforting to know).

That last statement is directed at people who are doing their own mechanical work. It is assumed, if you own one of these, you'll do most of your own work.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to Steel Soldiers!! You can learn a lot on this site by using the search function to pull up threads similar to yours. Many of them will answer your questions. Please download and read the TM's. Read through all of the stickies at the top of the CUCV Forum. Do your homework before you lay down cash for a truck. I knew nothing about owning a diesel before I bought mine. I learned a lot from this site and from turning wrenches.

If you do decide to buy a M1009, be aware that it may take a few months and a few greenbacks to shake out all the bugs from it. You could buy one that has been fully restored. There are a few gentlemen on this forum that restore and sell them. Check the classifieds, contact the sellers, ask questions. I would highly recommend joining a local MV club so you can get up close and personal with a M1009 before buying. You might want to drive one to see if you'll be comfortable on a 400 mile round trip.

I get about 18-20 MPG out of my M1009 if I'm light on the throttle. Parts are fairly easy to get at local auto parts houses. My CUCV is so reliable I wouldn't think twice about jumping in it and driving it 1,000 miles. I've done a fair share of work on it to get it running right (long list, won't bore you with details). I love my M1009 and am so thankful I bought it. It's one of the most practical military vehicles you can own.

Have fun with your search!! :)

bitteramerican762

Thanks for the replies! I've found two locally, hopefully one will pan out to be a good one. I like military vehicles. Everything from the history to the way they're built. After I find the one and have it ready to go, I plan on buying fuel (jerry) cans, and more aggressive tires in the same size.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good idea on getting the same size tires. I put 31x10.5x15 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac's on my truck and I LOVE THEM!! (Disclaimer: I do not work for any tire shop or for Goodyear) They handle great on dry and wet roads, and have great off road handling characteristics. I'm glad you want to get the same sized tires. 33" tires can rub if you don't install a lift kit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks