• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dodge 230 Broken Piston

Texjun

M37 Piston -1.jpgM37 Piston -2.jpgM37 Piston-3.jpg

I was just going to change Oil Pan Gasket, but they I found two broken pieces of Piston #6.

Only #6 has failed all other piston shirts and tops look good.

Has anyone ever seen a piston failure where the skirt broke off in two pieces and piston above the broken shirt started to cave in.

Overhaul Data-plate says pistons were standard at Rebuild back in 1972.

I took a quick measurement of the cylinder #6 with my caliper and got 3.248, there is no step wear at top of any of the cylinders.

Anyone have any take out Standard Pistons they could share I only need one?

Still looking, one of the great guys on SS send me one, but Unfortuneally it was not a Standard I need one good used STANDARD PISTON.

# 6 Piston Broken.jpg# 6 Piston metal in oil pan.jpg# 6 Cylinder no step.jpg

Last edited:

Bill W

This was the #6 piston that came out of my parts (V-41 ) truck back when I was restoring my 37. There was a TB out there somewhere that recommended additional oiler/splash holes to be drilled into the pistons for better top end lube.

Attachments

Last edited:

combat32

out of the 6 pistons I got with my truck (motor rebuilt by previous owner) one has the skirt edge broke like yours, wonder if it was number 6? He didn't mark these as to which hole they came out of.

GUNNY 155

I would say you are quite lucky. Most times when the skirt fails it is quickly followed by a catastrophic failure quickly followed by silence. I only saw one that stayed together in my mechanic days. Was it making any noise? I would be interested in seeing the TB on the added lube holes.

Texjun

Thanks for your reply, no there was no noise engine was running OK for the little that I have run it, I think the cause may be that the person that I brought the truck from said that It had been sitting for some years, and that the mechanic that he hired had used ATF Fluid a few squirts in each cylinder before the engine would turn freely.

It was a total surprise when I dropped the pan and found the pistons.

I think I am going to get one each Standard Sealed Power Piston and a set of Mahle Original Piston rings from Summit Racing

I have inspected the other pistons and bore and there is no other damage.

Someone mentioned the TB and I have not seen a copy of it, If I come across it I will post it.

Regards Texjun

Bill W

Texjun
I went through some of my old stuff looking for the TB ( which I could not find ) but during a search out to my barn stash I did come across one of the (used) pistons from my 1997 rebuild, don't have a clue why I still have it but your welcome to it.....I really need to clean out my barn!!

Attachments

Texjun

Bill W

That would be great, is there anything engraved or etched on the top of the piston such as .010 or .020 Etc.

You see my bores are standard at 3.250.

One of the great SS guys has sent me one and when I cleaned off the top it had .020 etched in it and I could not get it to fit into the bore.

Please let me know if it is a Standard and I will PM you my address.

Texjun

Texjun

Thanks to a Generous Fellow Steel Soldier # 6 Cylinder now has a serviceable piston and rings installed so I can now start engine reassembly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks