• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dodge 886 electrical problems

Blythewoodjoe

Yes, I know Dodge installed electrical problems at the factory, but seriously, my new M886 is not working well. There appears to be a problem between the battery and the starter relay. It gets fire once in a while to the distributor but when using the key it will either not turn over, or it will drag or suddenly spin quite well. When I pump the relay on the fender it will spin over fast every time. Is there a area prone to poor connections or is there a relay under the dash that puts power to everything. The wiper will not move at normal speed. They hardly move. No lights now but I have the M series switch removed at the moment. The head lights before that would barely glow. I'm just looking for a place to start looking. I puts a ignision box on it from the parts truck and it actually fired up for a second from the fuel dumped in it. Then it stop doing that after a few attemps. Did I fry this module?

I'll post more later. I have to run now.
Thanks guys,
Joe Trapp

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Grounds, Grounds , Grounds

99.5% of the electrical issues with these trucks are caused by coroded grounds.
The ignition module grounds via the mounting screws, same with the relays, wiper motor, etc.

N1265

There are Two relays under the dash, But they are there for the black out light system and do not effect the starting of the truck.

The biggest areas that are prone to poor connections are the firewall connector and the amp gauge itself. There is another thread on this site that explanes this ( with pictures ) but I would doubt it is your problem at this point.
( Look at the connector for a 10 ga. black wire comming from the ALT. If it is burnt, It could be part of the problem. )

You may try replacing the ballis resistor, it is the white thing on the firewall with two plugs going to it. ( these are known to go bad from time to time)

I doubt you have fried the anything by jumping the starting sylinoid. ( at least I never have )

Bob is probably right, You are probably looking at a ground issue. Also make sure the ground wire from the battery to the fender is good.

Also make sure the battery is good, If it has a dead cell or is week it would explain why it barely starts sometimes and the lights are dim.

Racky

I agree with Bob H grounds are the root cause of 99 % of electrical problems. First I would make sure all the grounds are in place than I would check them with a resistance meter just because they look ok doesnt make it so. What I do is use a test light you could also use a digital volt meter . I hook it to the positive side of the battery and start checking by going to battery first light should be bright or take note of volts. Than I touch everything I suspect might have a bad ground when you find a dim or no light or a drop in voltage or no voltage at all at a location the ground is compromised.

I hope this helps and good luck
Racky

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks