• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dodge tanker, what is it

M1075

Should be Cummins 555, auto tranny. With 5000 gallons in the tank, this truck barely moves uphil (10mph). Not very practical except for which it was designed (delivering fuel on a tarmac).

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
5000 gallons x 6.84 lbs/gallon (for Jet A fuel) = 34,200 lbs for just the cargo. That's 17 TONS of fuel. Agreed, not a very nimble truck, if you need an off-road fuel truck, get an M49 deuce.

M1075

When I was researching them last year, I read about a guy converting one to something like an overgrown pickup. Now that would be cool. The cab has good lines, not to mention gullwing fenders and automatic louvers in the grill.

acetomatoco

They were replaced/augmented with a R Model Mack of the same configuration... Runway refueller... Coupla fire departments tried em around here as surplus and with 5000 gallons of water at 8 lbs a gallon... they would simply not go up hill or stop downhill... Three pounds of sausage in a one lb bag...whoops...

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I would check into putting higher geared rears in it, drop that tanker bed like a bad habit and put a HEMMT style dropside bed on it. Or maybe take two dropside duece beds and custom build a bed.
Since it has a PTO on it you could even make a dump bed.
Dual stacks behind the cab would be ultra cool.
Does it have a MOPAR gasser engine in it or a diesel?
How cheap is relatively cheap?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
V/VT 555....555 CID V8 Very expensive to buy parts for, when you can find them. Getting harder to find someone who knows about them. The truck is VERY ugly to work on..I remember them too well. They were also fitted with a 903...903 CID V8.....shudderr!!! If memory serves me, that is a Dodge Bison. Most of the small vees were prone to rod failures.

FrankUSMC

We still have a couple at MCAS Cherry Point, NC. They are ugly, slow, but they work, and do the job, so we keep them instead of buying new stuff. It is a Marine thing.
One of the few, Frank

lacoda56

Will, you sure it was the Bison? The Bison was Chevy's version of the GM General. Seems to me that it was something like Big Horn. Also seem to remember it being Dodges last attempt at a heavy truck. But then you're talkin' 35 years ago and the memory aint what it used to be! :roll: The old triple nickle (555) and nine oh nothin' (903) Cummins had their problems but I seem to remember quite a few of them around back then.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Big horn...bison, some kind of horned creature. They were U..G..L..Y to work on. Oh yeah, there were alot of those V8 and V6 Cummins around. Thankfully, they are few and far between now, and I will disavow all knowledge of EVER knowing anything about them! BTW, did you haer Chrysler is putting a V6 AND aV8 diesel in their P/U trucks?

CGarbee

Not a Bighorn or a Bison...
Actually either a LCF or a HCF Dodge (Bighorn's came later, are larger, have more integrated fenders, and had a MUCH smaller production run...).
LCF (or C series) was introduced in 1960 and ran until 1975.
For info, see:
http://www.olddodges.com/index1.htm and click on the C tab...

LCF stood for Low Cab Foreward...

Bighorn (CN/CNT9500),1972-1975. 261 built. I know the guy who owns the first one off the line (local ATHS member).
For more info, see:
http://www.olddodges.com/index1.htm and click on the bighorn tab...

I'd give more direct links to the pages if I could figure out how...

Oh, and if you take a gander at this site, they have some nice brochures and tabulated data on the LCF models as well.
http://www.sweptline.com/hist/bigtrucks.html

One other thing to note (asside from Dodge's using the pickup cab on these rigs giving the driver a really nice ride...) is that the fenders are hinged. Combined with flipping the hood up, you got very nice access to the engine (only the back was obstructed...). 1960-1966 they had dual headlights, single lights from 1967 to end of production (civilian models...).

lacoda56

Hey, do I get points for being close? I always wondered why I never saw a Bighorn other than in magazine adds. Now I know... The amount of info on this site never ceases to amaze me! :shock:

sermis

The truck is about 40 miles from me. County Road and Bridge department. It looks like it has sat some time. I have known one of the commissioners all my life and he said he might be able to get it for me really cheep as they don’t use or want it.
It's green so I want it but then it's a Dodge..........

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks