• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dodgy tail light bulb socket

Hasdrubal

Having this issue with the tail light/ stop light bulb not working. Give it a wack..it works. Keeps doing it. Checked it out, seems to be one of the two brass contacts in bottom of socket appears not as sprung as the other one. Dont have access to another bulb socket right now. Anyone know of a temp fix for this?

taildragger03

Try a new bulb. The new bulb could reach the contacts.
Or,
Try to bend the contact in the socket. Small needle nose pliers or a small screwdriver would work. Go easy with that as the contacts can be brittle.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bend the contact as suggested above and/or stretch the spring a little.

rlwm211

I would expect you can carefully bend the tabs upward to improve the contact. The Bulb's heat can warm then up enough, especiallly if you leave the flashers on a lot and that can cause then to bend from the constant pressure.

I have the backup piece which mounts in the truct, connects to the harness, and holds the light bulbs if you need one. Just tell me which side you need.

RL

Hasdrubal

Last night, was trying to figure this out. Sometimes when I put the bulb in it would light and sometimes not. It was a fancy japanese Kotto 1157 anti vibration bulb, used in some motorcycles. Tried a regular 1157, its fit is tighter in the socket than the Kotto. It would seem that the diameter was somewhat smaller allowing it to move slightly whenever the truck hit a bump. Fixed now.