• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Does a CUCV have power brakes?

dependable

It is important that your brake fluid be one type or the other, not a mix. Occasionally changing brake fluid to remove contaminants and water is a good idea, and most of us don't do it as often as we should. Bleed with whatever you are using until it looks clean for a while.. If you ever do a complete brake overhaul, the dot 5 is a good choice. The mix of the two types can result in ruined calipers ect.

If anyone knows when dot 5 was adopted for cucvs, I'd like to know.

jj

If you added DOT 3 to your samples from the master cylinder and they settled out into two distinct layers in the container, then you have DOT 5 brake fluid in the master cylinder. You can buy DOT 5 brake fluid at better parts stores everywhere. I buy at NAPA because they are close. Be prepared, this stuff is pricey. I used just a bit more than 1qt. to fill the completely dry brake system on my long wheelbase civilian dual wheeled truck. By completely dry i mean new master cylinder, new calipers up front, new wheel cylinders out back, and all new plumbing in between. The "bit more than 1qt" included the losses from bleeding out the system. If your system already has fluid in the lines, i would think 1qt would be enough to get you filled up and bled out.

Wild Horse Hans

As I remember from years ago, when switching from Dot 3 to Dot 5 you have to change all the seals and wheel cylinder cups as the Dot 5 attacks the older Dot 3 type rubber. Does Dot 3 have any effect on the Dot 5 seals?