• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Does anyone know what kind of bed this is on my M923 Marine truck

TacticalDoc

The bed is green and the rest of the truck is camo. So, it looks like the bed was changed. Plus the drop sides are split into to parts. This is a Marine truck with PTO/Hydrolics, fording kit and lockers if that matters.

The question I have is what kind of bed is this and where did this bed come from?
Also, will the standard troop seats and rails fit?

get-attachment.jpg

TacticalDoc

Awesome...I didn't know that it was called the ISO bed. I like this bed because it seems to sit up higher and I can put a ladder in the back. I'm also thinking of mounting 1 inch feet to the under side then putting my tow bars on it. Even though someone can steal it in that location. I plan on putting a lock through the pintle for a little security... I know they can just pull the pins. Or I'll mount it on the front of the bed.

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IF you do some research, I think you will find that it was "born" as a 925. When the Army got their mits on it, they took off the winch and retagged it as a 923. It should still have the winch controls next to the shifter?

My truck has the ISO bed on it and i love the multiple drop down sides. I have loaded it up full with sticks and branches and the higher sides help hold in the loads better. You will really like that bed, it is very versatile.

TacticalDoc

IF you do some research, I think you will find that it was "born" as a 925. When the Army got their mits on it, they took off the winch and retagged it as a 923. It should still have the winch controls next to the shifter?
I know and it does have the shifter for winch
I picked up a parts truck with the winch that Im going to take off it
then I'll sell the PTO TC

TacticalDoc

My truck has the ISO bed on it and i love the multiple drop down sides. I have loaded it up full with sticks and branches and the higher sides help hold in the loads better. You will really like that bed, it is very versatile.

I didn't notice the difference at first until I picked up my parts truck

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
In case you didn't know, you should be able to remove the drop sides and store them in the frame under the bed.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For some reason most of those beds, which are also on the USMC M813A1s, were originally painted overall green on otherwise camo'ed trucks. Many were painted camo later.

Just FYI, the standard 5-ton fitted tarp will NOT fit that bed, no matter how much you cuss, swear, or otherwise plead with it! An LMTV tarp does fit, but is a tad taller (10"?) on the sides, so it just comes down a little lower. I've had one on my 813 for several years.

Cheers

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is not really accurate. The truck was most likely built as an M923, but the winch controls and PTO were installed to facilitate installation of a winch at a later time. They did not remove the winches from all of their trucks (neither for shipping cubage reduction nor any other purpose). They simply never had the winch installed, unless they were factory M925s. I have seen one or two factory M925 USMC dataplates, and those truck still had their winches. Most factory dataplates are M923s.

The ISO bed, super single tires and lockers were not factory installed, either (as far as I know). These trucks came with regular beds and 11.00-20 NDTs from the factory in the mid-80s. The lockers, single tires and ISO beds were installed during "overhauls". The ISO beds didn't come around until about 1990 and the plan was to outfit all UCMS trucks by 1999. The lockers and singles were probably installed at the same time, unless the truck had been previously overhauled and equipped that way. I'm not totally positive about the timing and relationship of the ISO modifications and the single tire/locker modifications without digging around a bit more.

Last edited:

CUCVFAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I should add that the Marines did also get some M923A1 trucks when production switched over to them in late 1985. Those trucks would have come from the factory with the 14.00R20s, but they were far fewer in number than straight M923s.

TacticalDoc

In case you didn't know, you should be able to remove the drop sides and store them in the frame under the bed.

Wow...I didn't know that. I thought that area was for some type of ramp that was missing. I didn't know the intended reason was to store the drop sides. The more I learn about these trucks the better I like them.
Thanks

TacticalDoc

For some reason most of those beds, which are also on the USMC M813A1s, were originally painted overall green on otherwise camo'ed trucks. Many were painted camo later.

Just FYI, the standard 5-ton fitted tarp will NOT fit that bed, no matter how much you cuss, swear, or otherwise plead with it! An LMTV tarp does fit, but is a tad taller (10"?) on the sides, so it just comes down a little lower. I've had one on my 813 for several years.

Cheers
good to know.

TacticalDoc

I should add that the Marines did also get some M923A1 trucks when production switched over to them in late 1985. Those trucks would have come from the factory with the 14.00R20s, but they were far fewer in number than straight M923s.
This is a 1984. So, the lockers, pto, fording kit was added later ... I guess?

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When the bed sides and tailgate are removed (for carrying a container, which is what those locks in the bed floor edges are for), the tailgate goes behind the fixed front bulkhead of the bed, attached by the same handles which secure it at the rear. The troop seats fold up and go in one of the under-bed slots, the bed sides go in the other. The bow uprights, including the curved bits, go in those square holes in that rail at the front of the bed, the cross pieces go in that transverse hole under the bed above the fuel tank/toolbox. That's what those straps under there are for.

Since the likelihood of me ever removing my bed sides is close to zero, I put wooden rails in the area under the bed to securely hold my boarding ladder. I attached it with hose clamps, so there is no permanent modification of the truck.

The first 923/925's I remember seeing in the Marines was late in 1984 (I was mid way through my career then) had the standard 14' bed and 14.00s. Shortly after the 923's came into service, the M813's started getting the big tires too.

Cheers

CUCVFAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The first 923/925's I remember seeing in the Marines was late in 1984 (I was mid way through my career then) had the standard 14' bed and 14.00s. Shortly after the 923's came into service, the M813's started getting the big tires too.

Cheers
Interesting... So, perhaps some trucks were equipped this way when they were delivered. I've seen numerous mid-80's photos of USMC trucks wearing 11.00 NDTs, so that's kind of my basis for my statements in my first post. In fact, GL recently sold several USMC M931 tractors with 11.00 NDTs and no ABS. I have edited that post, to include the "as far as I know" disclaimer, since your experience indicates otherwise. Now that I think about it, I have seen some USMC trucks with standard beds and 14.00 tires with the spare mounted in the bed, since the bed was not moved back far enough to mount it in the spare tire carrier until the A1 series came out.

Did your M813s have lockers in them prior to the single tires? Perhaps my information about the locker installation is incorrect, but it was my understanding that the lockers were not installed by the factory.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The extra height of the bed i sto clear the larger singles. If not raised the tires will contact the bed ribs in off road situations. (Just ask Makincold. . . )

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did your M813s have lockers in them prior to the single tires? Perhaps my information about the locker installation is incorrect, but it was my understanding that the lockers were not installed by the factory.
I don't know the answer to that, I was not Motor-T, so most of my truck experience was as a passenger/observer. I remember seeing my first 939 trucks (M923/5's) and loving that big nose and the huge tires. These were at PTA on Hawaii. I couldn't tell you if these were a local mod, or if they were delivered that way. There were some I saw later on Camp Pendleton wearing 11.00's, and thought how little they looked by comparison.

Cheers