• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Does it ever end?

Boxdoc1960

Does it ever end? Each day I think I'm nearing the end of the dis-assembly phase only to feel the need to take it down further. I'm beginning to wonder if I can ever
put her back together again.:oops:

This time I got the photos to attach, I think:oops:

Last edited:

HardCorps79

Why stop now? I've found with the motorcycle that it's helpful to take pictures with the digital camera every step of the way, and to use pieces of cardboard with rough drawings on them and everything labeled to stick all the screws/bolts in so they don't get lost, and so I know what they go to. So why the takedown? Full body-off restoration?

Boxdoc1960

I'm not sure how much further I'll take her. I may try and remove the bed so I can paint the back of the cab but I'm not sure yet.

I've been working in sections and putting all the parts for that section in a bag. I should be a to figure out how to get her back together especially with the manuals here on SS. This site and the great members of Steel Soldier have been fabulous.:-D

I'm replacing the front right fenders, left door, both rocker panels and fixing the rest with steel. I haven't figured out how I'm going to paint her yet. :cry: I have a small garage with all my wife's crap in it and live within a homeowners association. They kinda frown on body shop in the driveway thing.:evil:

But, I'll:grd:

Green_gator

Take a look at what Mike has done on his CUCV down in South Florida. It will make you feel much better about what you have ahead of you putting it back together. I am the same with my shop van, every time I take finish sanding and priming one group of pieces I feel the need to do more of them. Ended up painting the entire interior of my house that way because I painted my kids bathroom.

army326

It is a labor of love doc. don't think of it as work, but rather an enjoyment. i hate to see these "soldiers" go to the boneyard. you are preserving history.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yeh........ :grd:........ its just like a auction ... just a few more and i can quit..... but hind sight is 50 / 50 if i would have just done that little more. so now i take my time even if its all year and do it right the first time even if i dont want too:-D still hearing her voice... you should have, could have listened to me i tolddddllldyou

Boxdoc1960

Not to worry fellow Soldiers, I'll keep the faith. It is a labor of love, and like a woman, ya gotta love her even when you want to push her out the door.aua

I spend all weekend bending and welding new steel in the right hand door where I cut out the rust.

I found one more thing to make my wife complain; she hates the smell of bondo.:-D