• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Does it have Fast Axles or Not... that is the question

coachgeo

Sat. going to look at 1078 Im considering purchasing. Supposedly it has had the axle conversion. Besides driving it of course..... is there a way to tell if the conversion is done? Im guessing no cause thinking the conversion is all inside the pumpkins.

Any ideas?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah Test drive planned.

Standard Axle 57ish mph max? ???? RPM's
Fast Axle 65'sh, 70'sh max at what RPM?

or you got better test suggestions in a test drive?
This information you should be able to find in the -10 TM , which you should read before going and looking at the truck anyway.It should also be on a data plate in the truck.

You will need to do some research of the gear ratios/ tire size and calculate it . You may find some information by searching high speed gears .

http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

Last edited:

coachgeo

This information you should be able to find in the -10 TM , which you should read before going and looking at the truck anyway.It should also be on a data plate in the truck....
Won't be on the plate cause I'm pretty sure he added them or had them added himself. Will review the TEN in the TM

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I get about 57mph top speed with stock gearing. I would think there would be evidence of recent mechanical work being done if the pumpkins had been swapped out for higher gearing.

Lmtv772

Banned
unless the truck is a winch truck and has a tachometer, there is no way of knowing the RPM at which the motor is running.
I still don't understand why the OP is so heartbeat on buying this mess of a truck. Gluten for punishment is what comes to mind.

61sleepercab

The old fashion mechanic test is to mark the drive shaft and the top of the tire and with all rear wheels on the ground count the drive shaft turns to one turn of the tire. This is a estimate only if tire diameter is stock height. Good luck Mark

Lmtv772

Banned
This must be the last LMTV in the free world for under 10K. otherwise buying that thing is highly irrational

Last edited:

scottmandu

If there is still a barcode/part number tag on the third member you can check that. If it hits 65 mph on the highway you have the taller (numerically Lower) gears.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks