• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Does my flywheel look ok?

Jakob

I just went through all of this and wish I would have replaced the seal when I did my clutch job. I did the clutch, then the main started leaking, so I had to drop the transmission again.

The flywheel is in the neighborhood of 80lbs, I would agree.

Seth_O

Definitely resurface the flywheel. You have a couple of grooves towards the outer edge that look like they need to be turned. Anytime I install a new clutch plate I resurface, kind of like pads and rotors ;-)

My bro had this same dilemma on a toyota truck and elected to change his rear main seal even though it wasn't leaking - thinking extra insurance. He replaced it and a few months later it started leaking.

I just did my clutch (no leaking main) and elected to NOT replace the seal. No leaks in the last couple of months, but we'll see how it turns out. After how many times I had the tranny in-n-out initially I think I could redo it in one full day if the seal starts leaking. For what it's worth I redid the clutch in a landcruiser and did not replace a non-leaking rear main and it stayed good for years afterwards until I finally sold it.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

Last edited:

tm america

i would resurface the flywheel.And leave the rear seal for now ..If it leaks later you can change it then.. i wouldn't make a possible problem if you don't have to.