• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

does the x realy mean anything important?

XanRa

just out of curiosity does the x truly mean or make a difference on anything other than (its "special")
i know it means preproduction but does it change or make anything different?

this may have been answered before i am aware

jwaller

as you described it's pre-approved production. I've yet to notice anything that was changed when after they were "approved".

Lifer

In Memorial
In Memorial
The X means that it's an experimental model undergoing evaluation. Usually, the X prefix is dropped when evaluations have been completed and recommended changes made. For example, the XM720 mobilizers we were using back in 1980/81 are now M720 mobilizers. Other "X" model stuff never got past the evaluation stage and was discontinued.

LanceRobson

but do the x models have any phsyical differences to the production models?
What Lifer said.

Yes there are sometimes changes. Usually they are very minor. Maybe a different toolbox door, a change in the routing of wiring, moving a switch or gauge etc. Rarely they major as that would have caused a model number change

A few pieces of equipment are made in such low quantities that they never get past the "XM" stage. Many "XM" items are upgraded later and loose there identity as an "XM".

Other kinds of equipment gets the "XM" designation, too. Not long before I retired (2005) I was teaching an advanced marksmanship course at the Marksmanship Training Unit and one of the arms room rifles caught my eye due to most of the black finish being worn off the lower receiver. It was an M16A4 that had stared life as a XM16, been changed to an M16A1, later to an M16A2 and then to an M16A4.

About a half of the side of the receiver was covered with stamped and over-stamped markings from all the changes. It had been in the inventory for over 40 years and still measured and gauged withing spec so it was still soldiering on as a training unit rifle. I often wondered haw many soldiers that rifle served with.

Lance

XanRa

i would love to have that rifle.... for the history and the men it had served in its life... it deserves to be saved...... just like these trucks:beer: