• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Does this look safe to you ?

197thhhc

Ok, I want you to look at the pics and let me know what you think. I personnaly think that this is an accident waiting to happen. The company that built this truck sells about 2 a month on ebay. I had never noticed this before and thought maybe they just screwed the pooch on this one. so I went back and checked their sold llistings. Others are like this also. Its not the fact that the ubolts are upside down. Its the fact they are going around the axle and not across it, besides a small pin, what keeps the axle from just sliding back the leafspring? This truck sold for $18,000.00. I have always thought this companies trucks were very well done. If you think its safe let me know why please.

Attachments

Last edited:

ODdave

Looks fine to me. They should have squared them up better though and no block stacking. We do this to mud trucks for less drag and beat them far more than that duece will ever see and never had a problem. Manufactures have been doing it for years as well.

P.S. U bolts are used for clamping strength, Not shear strength.

Last edited:

KsM715

I dont understand what you mean about the u-bolts going across the axle? If I was going to use lift blocks I would prefer one solid block as opposed to the two blocks from a M105 spring pack.

A

A/C Cages

We have done this with a 4x4 Jeep. Mudding only use. It snapped the Dana rear like it was a twig.
But we beat that Jeep to death.
The airborne jump and slam into the ground dindt help it.

ODdave

This is a picture of the way the ubolts normally go. It seems to me they would help to limit any forward/backward axle movement. (This pic is from a 100dollarman post)
Still just the locator pin.

personaly i would rather have upside down u bolts than stacked frames, But thats me.

SMOKEWAGON66

yah...im no suspension expert but that looks wrong....the U-bolts are upside down i think...looks like it take one good jolt sideways and that axle would slide right through them...but i dont know. just an opinion

KsM715

What difference does it make which way the u-bolts are going? They apply the same clamping force either way. axles on 105 trailers are mounted that way. Anyone ever see an axle shift on one of those?

91W350

Looks like a simple 1/4" plate drilled to match the upper plate and welded to the lift block would take a lot of the walking stress off of the U-Bolts. I think my NAPCO Converted late 1950's trucks had upside down U-Bolts and they never had any problems. I know they had a six or eight inch spacer between the axle and spring pack, depending on application. Why not just weld the lift block to the axle tube?

A

A/C Cages

Well its better then some ive seen done before.

Ive seen a feild repair done using duct tape, yes I said duct tape. It held that axle together for the 3 mile trip back down the dirt trail to the trailers.

Love that duct tape!!!

197thhhc

I understand the CUCv suspension. Maybe what bothers me is the huge gap between the springs and the ubolts on the sides. It seems like they are under a side load and could shift then they would be loose. Maybe its just the lack of attention to detail. If they were stacked nice and tight to the spring I would feel better. ( see CUCV supension below)

Attachments

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Only thing I'm not keen on is the shock mount. That weld is across the fold in the frame weld and sets up a stress point. U-bolts are fine. It looks like the "double block" is only a plate welded to the axle to use as a locator

midcounty

I don't see any problem with the direction of the u bolts. I have had a number of trucks that were lifted with U bolts in that configuration, and never a problem. I never took any of them severely airborne, but wasn't easy on them either. I did stack blocks on the back of one truck as a quick fix to a lift, and it didn't take long to kick them out either. Lucky for me they didn't come completely out, and I noticed as soon as I did it the truck was tracking off.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks