• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Does this portal gear look new? worn?

royg

I bought another non-running 2003 M1123 out of yermo. While pressure washing I found a portal hub missing the top plug (the one that covers the bolt to the axle) and oops! I had just blasted a bunch of sand/water inside. I pulled the cover plate, cleaned it out, and refilled with fresh oil.

I'm wondering if the gears could provide an indication of the miles on this truck? It had no gauge cluster/odometer. It's never been repainted. the bed is pristine like it's never hauled anything so I'm thinking its low miles.

I think I can see consistent machining marks across both sides of the teeth from manufacture.
I don't see much polishing from the teeth meshing. But maybe with straight cut gears they don't polish a pattern?

Just wondering from anyone who's looked at low or high mileage hubs how this compares.

PXL_20220402_210147994.jpg

rcamacho

Looks good might be an opportunity to check your gear lash between the upper and lower gear as well as the bearing preload.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk