• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Does this sound doable?

DXTAC

I have an M1009 and no AC. I have access to 2 RV style rooftop air conditioners (one works, one needs a little TLC). Would it be possible to power something like THIS off of the existing electrical system with an inverter? If not, can it be done with modifications that would be less than the $1000 - $1500 it costs to buy a system and install it or have it installed??? Electrical is NOT my forte. This 90-95 degrees and near 100% humidity is already getting old!

Thanks in advance!!

Derek

Midnight Rider

I've seen a regular house window air conditioning unit in the back window of a van, so I guess anything is doable.

The weight might be an issue though. It says it weighs over 90lbs. Will the fiberglass shell hold that over an extended period of time?

I'm further south than you and I just drive with all the windows down. I don't think I would want to sit idle in traffic, but it wouldn't bother me too much. However, I'm pretty much a cheapskate so I don't want to spend any money, especially money I don't have.

1986Blazerk5

I have an M1009 and no AC. I have access to 2 RV style rooftop air conditioners (one works, one needs a little TLC). Would it be possible to power something like THIS off of the existing electrical system with an inverter? If not, can it be done with modifications that would be less than the $1000 - $1500 it costs to buy a system and install it or have it installed??? Electrical is NOT my forte. This 90-95 degrees and near 100% humidity is already getting old!

Thanks in advance!!

Derek
You cuould take the back top off thats what i did since its 90 here and the top off makes a huge difference

Westech

CPL
The military offers a 24v system. Here's a link to an Ebay sale for one. Keep in mind that this guy's prices are out of control, but it's the only one I've found. Good luck.

RED DOT CORP 24V AIR CONDITIONER R-2400-0P - eBay (item 200463976075 end time Jul-20-10 13:37:58 PDT)

this one needs the compressor and lines so its not a self contained kit. for the most part its worthless. Get the other one for 1200 if you are really looking but I would not hold my breath on that.

DXTAC

You guys never cease to amaze me! I never even knew these existed! Thanks for the input. For right now I do have the top off but I am uncomfortable with the sun beating down on my twin 6 year olds heads. I am in the process of fabricating a bikini top of sorts and hope to have it done sooner than later. I'll post pics when it's done.

THANKS!!

1986Blazerk5

You guys never cease to amaze me! I never even knew these existed! Thanks for the input. For right now I do have the top off but I am uncomfortable with the sun beating down on my twin 6 year olds heads. I am in the process of fabricating a bikini top of sorts and hope to have it done sooner than later. I'll post pics when it's done.

THANKS!!
I really look forward to seeing that, i want to a soft top too but there arnt cheap

rhinob

:ditto:

Absolutely agree about the RED DOT SYSTEM. Get a complete system with all of the bits and documentation. I didn't see them before I posted.

I can't claim to be the guy that found this system, but this will surely keep the sun off the kiddos. I'm seriously considering this for my M1009.

Softopper Model #BlazerGen3

Last edited:

zout

RV roof ac unit - you will need at least a 20 amp breaker to support its 110 load. I have one installed on an M109A3 top of the box.

They do make a low profile but in the long run this may not be what you want to hack a hole in your roof for.

The members above gave you some great info and links - in the long run as mentioned for longevity that is your best install. Besides if you want to sell it and get something else - that person may not want a hacked up cobbled up ac install and shy away from the sale - ya never know what you will do in the future.

allrevup

I've seen a regular house window air conditioning unit in the back window of a van, so I guess anything is doable.

The weight might be an issue though. It says it weighs over lbs. Will the fiberglass shell hold that over an extended period of time?

I'm further south than you and I just drive with all the windows down. I don't think I would want to sit idle in traffic, but it wouldn't bother me too much. However, I'm pretty much a cheapskate so I don't want to spend any money, especially money I don't have.
:p LOL, I too have seen something similar. This camper had a 5000 BTU unit(good for 150Sq. Ft. (modern ones only weight about 40 lbs., draw about 5-6 amps at start up) running off some kind of inverter and a Harbor Freight Generator when parked.

But for the ultimate in cheapskate/DIY/Redneck/backyard ingenuity look up DIY or homebuilt A/C in youtube.com As long as you have a good supply of frozen 2 liter water bottles or Dry Ice or salted ice you can lower the temp from 20* to as much as 40* F. , can run a 12 or 24 volts fan, removable if not in need and usually built cost about <$100.
You guys with M1009, I could see one nested between the seats, made out of a OEM center console and can also chill some handy legal will driving refreshments, Just like moder high dollar vehicles!

Last edited: