• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Doesn't take much to stick my 1031

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I too run the Goodyear Duratrac in 235/85-16. My 1028A1 also has the front LS diff. I keep all four of them at 85PSI because I haul and tow heavy loads with it. They work well for me in South Texas mud. At times I have needed to shift the tranny into 2nd gear with the shifter. This puts the tranny into 2nd to start and allows me to get enough wheel speed/spin to clean the tread. Other wise they can pack up and glaze over if there is enough clay in the mud.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have 6 duratracs on my SECM. I'm hooked too. Need 6 more for my little landscape tipper ......what I really need is to remove the detonated gov bomb.

Matt5

Banned
Never saw him ask? Seems like a purely social thread.

Also workhorse was a better all round tire... duratracs do not last...

and to the dude at 85 psi... pretty sure tire MAX is 80...

Pic for fun. 034.jpg

Disclaimer I do not need tire advice

cucvrus

Also workhorse was a better all round tire... duratracs do not last...

Define do NOT last? No they are NOT a 40K mile tire. Most people don't buy Extra Grip tires for the mileage. I go thru about 1 set of Goodyear Duratrac tires a year. They are the best tires I have ever used and many people I recommend them to share the same opinion. Goodyear Work horses were good in the day. Same as Goodyear Wrangler AT vs Goodyear Wrangler ATS. About the same. I used several sets of Goodyear MTR Kevlar tires on M1009's that were mainly grunt / work vehicles. They held up well and never failed to provide the traction that I bought them for. And they did give the look I desired also. I have used generic tires in a pinch and they are just that suitable in a pinch. Good Luck with your tires. Goodyear gets my vote. I get the best deal on Goodyear's that may sway my vote. But I have used them all at one time or another. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Odds are good that my Duratracs will dry rot before I wear them out. I don't mind that on my CUCVs.

Matt5

Banned
The duratrac IMO will be beat for "extra grip" by a real snow tire...

"goodyear gets my vote" I said the workhorse a GOODYEAR TIRE was better... not sure how that was not a vote for good year.

The duratrac (joke of a name) is the REPLACEMENT for the workhorse (a real name)...

The workhorse did great in the snow, would last forever, and could take tire chains...

the duratrac does great in the snow, does not last forever, and can not take tire chains.

Again, the workhorse is a better all around tire imo.

I run them (duratracs) because I do low miles and because I know how they work... IF I could have got the deal on a set of nokians that I did on my new set of duratracs I would have tired them.

IMG_20181120_215130846.jpgSome good tire chain damage on a set of duratracs... never saw this running workhorses... and in case no one picked up... don't run tire chains unless you plan to damage your duratracs.

cucvrus

That tire you have in the picture was a long time looking for an accident. When the rubber gets that thin sage grass will cut thru and chunk the rubber from the carcass. Not sure where you are going with this theory/analysis but I really don't think any tire was designed to run chains on when it was worn down past the wear bars and 110% of the useable tread is gone. That tire was a long time past due for replacement. I think the are having a few Black Friday sales on tires today. May I suggest the Goodyear Duratrac in an LT236/85R16. Best tire for the buck. Maybe look at the mileage warranty and useable tread life chart. On a CUCV the mileage warranty is VOID. These TRUCKS eat tires. It's goes with the territory. I use one set a year. Thus Goodyear. Enjoy the Day.

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The duratrac IMO will be beat for "extra grip" by a real snow tire...

"goodyear gets my vote" I said the workhorse a GOODYEAR TIRE was better... not sure how that was not a vote for good year.

The duratrac (joke of a name) is the REPLACEMENT for the workhorse (a real name)...

The workhorse did great in the snow, would last forever, and could take tire chains...

the duratrac does great in the snow, does not last forever, and can not take tire chains.

Again, the workhorse is a better all around tire imo.

I run them (duratracs) because I do low miles and because I know how they work... IF I could have got the deal on a set of nokians that I did on my new set of duratracs I would have tired them.

View attachment 748932Some good tire chain damage on a set of duratracs... never saw this running workhorses... and in case no one picked up... don't run tire chains unless you plan to damage your duratracs.
I have seen Goodyear's do this without chains on my gravel roads! And it happens with tires that are not worn out at 30 to 40 mph.

Matt5

Banned
I had tire chains on brand new duratracs, the chains melted right into the tire... this has nothing to do with how worn the tires are (btw you are looking at an extra YEAR of wear from when they were damaged).

This never ever ever happened on workhorse tires... the tires these replaced. Goodyear says duratrac is the replacement for the workhorse.

Whats the better tire? the one that falls apart and wears right out or the one that lasts and does the same jobs?

Also the tire is NOT worn past the wear bars. Those tires went out and plowed this last snow storm... They got enough tread left to do that... the picture makes the wear look worse.

Yes they are worn but that damage was done with more tread on than you see... bottom line is the workhorse imo was a better tire.

That's also ONE picture of ONE stop... both rear tires have multiple cuts.

I already have my replacement set at $500 to my door thanks. This set will get tire chains put on them and put off to the side.

TLDR they made a weaker tire that does not last as long as the tire it replaced.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks