• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dog head starter relay

Jb_bullfrog

Can someone tell me why my starter engages, as soon as I hook my battery cables backup after adding the dog head starter relay set up?

dependable

It is likely either the relay, or the way you hooked it up. Red is hot, 24V, purple goes to starter, black to ground, purple & white goes to ignition switch. Purple should only show 24V when 12V current is sent on purple & white wire, that should only happen when ignition switch is turend to start.

Possible but not likely is a bad relay. It is also possible you got a ground switched relay by mistake.

Jb_bullfrog

It is likely either the relay, or the way you hooked it up. Red is hot, 24V, purple goes to starter, black to ground, purple & white goes to ignition switch. Purple should only show 24V when 12V current is sent on purple & white wire, that should only happen when ignition switch is turend to start.

Possible but not likely is a bad relay. It is also possible you got a ground switched relay by mistake.
I've unhooked the purple and white wire, I have voltage to it without key turn or anything. As soon as I hook up the battery I get voltage to the purple and white. Strange deal. Please help lol

dependable

Is the purple & white wire still hooked up to relay, or do you get voltage from wire even if not connected to anything?

If it is still hooked to relay, it is probably a defective or ground switched relay. Or maybe hooked up wrong.

If you get voltage and wire is not hooked to anything, your ignition switch is probably either defective or jammed on. Switch located under steering column and actuated by a metal rod. If someone swapped or did work on steering column, they probably jammed the rod.

Jb_bullfrog

Is the purple & white wire still hooked up to relay, or do you get voltage from wire even if not connected to anything?

If it is still hooked to relay, it is probably a defective or ground switched relay. Or maybe hooked up wrong.

If you get voltage and wire is not hooked to anything, your ignition switch is probably either defective or jammed on. Switch located under steering column and actuated by a metal rod. If someone swapped or did work on steering column, they probably jammed the rod.
Ok, I unhooked the connection at the ignition switch and it still had voltage to purple and white wire.

dependable

Screenshot 2020-10-15 110919.jpgPerhaps now is a good time for you to familiarize yourself with the TMs for this truck. Specifically TM 9-2320-289-20, this is page F-4.
All this and more available right here on forum in TM section. There are a couple of errors in these diagrams, but I don't think here.

Looks like diagram shows glow plug module is in the same circuit, as well as water in fuel lamp, there may be more connections I missed or on another page of diagram. Has anyone messed with glow circuit on this truck? I've seen a lot of "creativity" there.

It could be something is shorted out, or more likely harness has been "modified" at some point.

If truck completely stock and harness un cut, diagrams should give you some clues. But if harness has been cut into, or added to in any way, I'd look for those changes and try to correct. For example, I recently was having intermittent shorting problems with tail/turn lights on one of my 1008s, was driving me up the wall. Then it occurred to me to disconnect trailer brake controller that had been added by the PO, a fire department, and it turns out the controller had an intermittent internal short, problem solved.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks