• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dogging in front med duty wench

ericp351

Hi all . Have 5ton A 2. The med duty fr wench likes a few hits with a rubber mallet to engage. Is that common? If not- what should I lube/ work on? Oil level (right side) OK. Thanks!

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First its spelled Winch, and NO that is not how the system works. Have you checked out the TM on this unit? They are on this site and are free for all of us to use and you will be amazed at how effective they are!

ericp351

Thank you for the prompt spell check! Yes, I read Operations Manual, Lube Order, and some of the repair books. Before I dig into an otherwise functioning machine I was requesting a second opinion on "reasonable real world " civilian function. My working theory is that the otherwise excellent TM's have inherent limitations. For example- they were generally written for new, battle ready machines, maintained by a "team" with a generous budget, (and supply chain) and operated by a motivated and young team of service men. Now is thirty odd years hench. I an a humble "owner-operator", thankful to be able to run my truck without being shot at. I suspect that my winch <sic.> is dogging in less than perfectly because I read the TM's. If the stiff engage condition points to a real big problem I would appreciate a heads up. Don't want to trash it out!! Being pointed to a repair would be even better! For all I know, a "twice a year thump or 2" might be common and workable.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thank you for the prompt spell check! Yes, I read Operations Manual, Lube Order, and some of the repair books. Before I dig into an otherwise functioning machine I was requesting a second opinion on "reasonable real world " civilian function. My working theory is that the otherwise excellent TM's have inherent limitations. For example- they were generally written for new, battle ready machines, maintained by a "team" with a generous budget, (and supply chain) and operated by a motivated and young team of service men. Now is thirty odd years hench. I an a humble "owner-operator", thankful to be able to run my truck without being shot at. I suspect that my winch <sic.> is dogging in less than perfectly because I read the TM's. If the stiff engage condition points to a real big problem I would appreciate a heads up. Don't want to trash it out!! Being pointed to a repair would be even better! For all I know, a "twice a year thump or 2" might be common and workable.
Might need to know how you are using that engagement lever too... Most of the time, the lever gets pushed to the disengaged position so you can "free spool" the cable off the drum. Much faster (easier) than needing two people to unspool cable to the nearest tree. When you go to engage it, you should be able to turn the drum to connect it back up to start your pull.

Start out with some Penetrating Oil. Throw down some scrap cardboard and really soak the slide. Give it a few days to soak in, squirting it daily or several times a day to "limber it up". Then see if you can find a spot to give it a little grease...

ericp351

Might need to know how you are using that engagement lever too... Most of the time, the lever gets pushed to the disengaged position so you can "free spool" the cable off the drum. Much faster (easier) than needing two people to unspool cable to the nearest tree. When you go to engage it, you should be able to turn the drum to connect it back up to start your pull.

Start out with some Penetrating Oil. Throw down some scrap cardboard and really soak the slide. Give it a few days to soak in, squirting it daily or several times a day to "limber it up". Then see if you can find a spot to give it a little grease...
Thanks. I leave it with break on, and free spool. It does free spool, but after cable is rigged the lever needs a few taps to engage. Then it is fine. Usually stiff, but can disengage by hand most times.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks. I leave it with break on, and free spool. It does free spool, but after cable is rigged the lever needs a few taps to engage. Then it is fine. Usually stiff, but can disengage by hand most times.
Lots of these trucks sit around for ten years before they make it into civilian hands - so stiff and in need of lube - could indeed be the fix.

ToddJK

Have you tried slowly turning the drum by hand while trying to put the engage lever in place? Mine will stick but after the lever is in the engage position and in order to get it out, I have to reverse the winch a little. There's even a plate the says to do so on the truck, so I imagine it must have been common enough to happen to see it on there.
I prefer to have a spotter help me when winding the winch back in, just in case if the lever inside the cab is not in N like I thought and it winds in after I release the clutch. If by myself, I'll put a bright colored flag on the chain and wind it in just until I can barely see it, place everything in N and see if it winds in or not. If not, I'll disengage the winch and lock the drum, wrap the remaining cable around the bumper and wait until I have a spotter later on to fully wind it back up.

I imagine a curved mirror like what's seen on semi's and school buses may help too if it's installed correctly.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea had one that needed a little help with the lever to engage. Myself I drained checking for water. Then refill and working the lever back and forth Fast and Furious as many times to wipe the corrosion of the metal parts. To add I had my son in the cab ready on the clutch if I could no disengage. I free spooled no load on line maybe 30 feet of line out and with the PTO in slow return I worked the lever fast and many times I could till the line got close then stopped. I guess in my mind I was getting rid of the tarnish / rust off all of the paws. Seemed to work for me anyways.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks