• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Doghead Mod Failure

ssdvc

Had a busted shock on my truck, and I figured while I was at the Hobby Shop on base changing out the shocks, I might as well go ahead and do the Doghead mod. the truck is a 1986 M1009. 67,000 on the odo. She is basically stock and fairly well maintained.

Went to NAPA and got the correct part, SME Line #7-01860-1. Wires werecut properly, ring connectors added and attached to the new relay in the correct locations. Tripled checked everything BEFORE I reconnected all the battery cables (and yes, I removed all four connections).

Anyway, I got everything hooked up, bolted up, tripled checked, Blah, Blah, Blah. Turned the key, had lights come up, glow plugs did thier thing, etc. Waited a few seconds and tried to start her up and..............NOTHJIN ! The lights were all on, but no joy at the starter. Checked to make sure nothing had smoke coming from it (none found).

Re-triple checked all the connections, looked it all over, repeated above process and NOTHIN. Repeated again, this time taking everything apart and doing it all over again. Still nothin ! Man, I was bummed.

Soooooo, I got the old relay out of the trash, removed the ring connectors from the four wires under the dash, fitted spade connectors to them and reused the old relay (no connector, just plugged the wires directly to the relay top). Turned the key and BAM .......she started right up.

I have never heard of the this mod going wrong, so I am thinking one or three things. Either one of the ring connectors was messed up and not making good contact, the relay is bad or I just don't know what the **** I am doing (three could be possible on several different levels).

Anyway, how do I test the relay to see if it is bad?

Thanks.

100acre

, SME Line #7-01860-1 ...Is this the correct part for the M1008 too? I still need to do the same but hopefully different results. I hope things work out for you. thanks

R Racing

Try energizing the relay and check continuity between the common and normally open contacts. The doghead mod works so I can't see how u can make a statement witout knowing if u got a crappy relay for sure or not.

ssdvc

Try energizing the relay and check continuity between the common and normally open contacts. The doghead mod works so I can't see how u can make a statement witout knowing if u got a crappy relay for sure or not.

I don't know what statement you are referring to, but I did the mod, it failed and now I am looking for answers as to why. A "crappy relay" may indeed be the cause of the "failure".

I am asking questions and seeking answers, not making a statement, but thank you for the relay check advice.

rod

I would say that it you checked the wiring to ne in the right locations any you checked the round wire terminals and both of these were OK,, Then it has to be the new relay that is bad.

The part, whether you get it from NAPA, or any other parts place, thay are all the same and made overseas.

I say it is the relay. Just because it is new doesn't mean a thing. Thats why I always check thermostats in boiling water before I put them in.

CROM

The best way to test the relay would be to hook it up and turn the key. Since that didn't work, and the old one still does, you bought a bunk relay. It happens. Return the part for a new one and try again.

This relay mod is worth it. That old one, even though it works, will stick one day and fry your starter.

AceHigh

I did this last week and noticed the new relay was "made in China" but looks just like the one in the picture. It is working great.

I took the original relay apart, it is hard to believe that frail thing worked this long.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should have used a meter and tested the setup, after you installed it. I would bet you either made a bad terminal connection or had a bad new relay.

China or USA made, failures in manufacturing do occur and testing every single part before packaging and selling them, is not aways done.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To "bench test" the relay,

With the relay "on the bench", you can apply ground to one small terminal, and 12v+ to the other small terminal, and use an ohm meter and see that you get continuity between the two large terminal when the 12v is applied.

Further diagnoses is possible, but I would simply return it and get another new one.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would just file a claim with GL and be done with it. :-D

Seriously, I wouldn't call this a failure. Just an installation issue.

A failure would be that the relay broke and the wiring/starter fried.

Last edited:

deuceaid

Banned
Ye of little faith...:cool:
I was wondering who was whining about DH, and how that could ever be. Sorry i dont cucv that much to know about the modification. Now my only complain is that DH doesnt have a picture of 1960`s Elvis photoshoped into his wrecked truck avatar:p

acesneights1

I also did the mod. In fact I had read about it and then my stock relay failed somewhere and I didn't have internet access but it was easy to figure out how to wire it. It works fine and is a must do.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
, SME Line #7-01860-1 ...Is this the correct part for the M1008 too? I still need to do the same but hopefully different results. I hope things work out for you. thanks

Yes, same for either M1008 or M1009.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks