• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

doghead relay failure

Gripy

I've been having long GP wait times recently, I realized that air is coming in from the input to the fuel filter. I loosened the hose and readjusted and clamped the hose.

Then I tried to start/bleed the system. It was working but the batteries died. The relay started to make this horrible clicking sound. So, I obtained a jump wire but no luck since batteries were low. Then I called AAA to get a jump, they came charged me up and I hot wired (solid purple wire to the red wire) the truck. Boom, it started.

I drove to O'reilly's for a new relay is was ~10$ swapped it out with the old one and everything works just fine.

This is more of an informative post for others to look at if they have this problem. But the relay failed instead of sticking On and burning everything up.

I had the relay working for almost exactly 1yr.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been having long GP wait times recently, I realized that air is coming in from the input to the fuel filter. I loosened the hose and readjusted and clamped the hose
The wait light has no way to sense air in fuel.

Dead/low batteries, mean lower voltage, which means higher amperage.

Better to have that part fail off, than on. That is why I chose it.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What does the doghead rely mod have to do with the Glow Plug system?
Nothing

Also your $10 relay is it an isolated ground, doubtful for that price. You likely have a Ford relay and will have further issues as it is not isolated ground.
There is no correlation between price and internally grounded(or not) relays. Are you referring to a relay in use for the starter system or the GP system? The starter system does activate by switching the positive side of the relay coil, so technically you could replace it with a "ford style" externally grounded relay.

This thread is not very clear or definitive.

The way I read it is, the OP has had airleak/fuel system and GP issues and has cranked his truck until the batteries were nearly dead and in so doing this, he fried his under dash starter relay. This does not surprise me.

Last edited:

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice to see Doghead getting blamed for something besides his manners.

:)