• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Doghead Starter Relay Mod query

JamieM1009

Hi

I'm looking to do this mod but i'm in the UK and we don't have access to the NAPA parts & if we do the shipping costs are very high. Can this be done with any other 200 amp relay such as this?

If so can anyone confirm which was round the wires will go?

Thanks in advance

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
BTW, We ask not to post ebay links for a few reasons.

I'll let it go this time (I did it as well :roll:). We do allow a link to a particulaer e bay sellers profile page.

JamieM1009

Excellent thanks. I'll order that one now, can you believe the shipping is $37!!! What a rip off lol but oh well cheaper than NAPA.

Roger that on the ebay links, didn't realise.

Thanks

mistaken1

The starter relay MUST have an isolated coil (same as the GP relay). A relay is nothing more than an electrically controlled switch. The small terminals control the switch and the large terminals are the switch.

In the unit linked the black wire would terminate on one small terminal and purple/white wire would terminate on the other small terminal. The red supply wire would terminate on one large terminal and the purple load wire to the starter soleniod would terminate on the other large terminal.

It does not matter which terminal you use for each control wire so long as you are using the small terminals for the control wires only. It does not matter which terminal you use for each power wire so long as you are using the large terminals for the supply and load wires only.

In other words you cannot use the small terminals for power and you cannot use the large terminals for control.

Whether or not the unit linked would work is strictly a matter of it having an isolated coil.

If you were take a multimeter and read continuity between either small terminal and the case it would be a case grounded coil unit (NOT an isolated coil unit) and it would NOT work for a starter (or GP) relay.

Perhaps this seller will verify that it is an isolated coil relay before you purchase.

Too slow :neutral: darn it.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let's talk about the under-dash starter relay. (not the GP relay!)

Sorry, I did not address the wires in my first reply. I was still drinking my morning coffee and a bit sleepy still.(as noted by my edit!)

Simple wiring... Big wires on the big studs. Little wires, on the little studs. That simple.

Last edited:

mistaken1

Let's talk about the under-dash starter relay. (not the GP relay!)

Sorry, I did not address the wires in my first reply. I was still drinking my morning coffee and a bit sleepy still.(as noted by my edit!)

Simple wiring... Big wires on the big studs. Little wires, on the little studs. That simple.

Doh! :doh:

Now I have to go back and change everything and I'm still too slow. And I had a cup of coffee! My wife says I talk too much.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:wink: M1, I often confuse easy, as well.

Last edited: