• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Doghead starter relay modification - new idea.

M1008driver

Didn't you have that vehicle for sale in the classified last year? It's your vehicle, but if I bought it I would do the doghead mod the right way and quit f-ing around with the stupid stuff.

My grandpa gave me some good advice one time. He said don't be a pu$$y. So if you want to baby your prized MV so be it, just don't act like the doghead mod is not genius.

:beer:

JSF01

@Cyclejay I understand what your doing and I say go for it. I very much get the idea of not wanting to permanently alter a classic vehicle as I myself have similar feelings. Now In my personal opinion you may be taking it a little far, but of course your truck your choice. If you want an easy way to make the doghead mod reversible I would just cut the old relay farther back this way it leaves you with a bit of extra wire on the harness that could be reconnected and soldered back to wires if you want to undue the modification. The military actually kind of did that with my truck. They cut the old connector off not even bothering to take the old starter relay out and just attached a new connector to the wires, plugged in a new relay and just tucked it back up. So when that one burnt out on me I just did the same thing except instead of replacing it with the same relay I used the doghead relay.

AceHigh

Cyclejay, I too keep my trucks original, except for when the factory simply made a mistake. Here is the original relay and it is very underpowered for what it was intended to do. It has cost many people a lot of money on repairs that should not have been needed.

Doghead's mod is a great upgrade, but as noted you can keep your truck any way you want to.

Your original post says "Just in case anyone wants to" reverse the mod. Hard to imagine it but who knows?

Attachments

JSF01

Thats kind of cool looking. I've never taken a relay aprt before, you would not happen to have a picture of the doghead relay taken apart to compare it to?

OL AG '89

O.k. So I just read through the three pages or so for doing the mod, but keeping it original?
Let's pretend this is a "recall" item by the factory, if they were still in production, I guarantee this would of been a recall item. So how would the "factory" do this mod? Given the materials available, I'm thinking they would of called Doghead and used his idea....
Simple, Sweet and to the POINT......

Did this mod ever show up in the PM mags? Just curious, always liked the pictures in those "official" publications.....

But as ALL others have said, IT's yours, do with IT as you Please.....

CycleJay

Look,
To the guy who said... "My grandpa gave me some good advice one time. He said don't be a pu$$y"...

I was NOT trying to act like Doghead's mod is NOT genius, it is a good mod, I can agree with that.
But I just do not like the permanency of it, that is all.
I even said I would probably do the mod myself, since so many of you so highly recommend it, but when I do it, I just would like it to be reversible.

I also asked politely not to be flamed over this, excuse me for trying to be helpful,
especially to those others that have mentioned the same thing, about doing it,
but wanting it reversible.

Please do unto others, as you would like them to do unto you, and show some respect,
in your replies to people.

Besides, the way I plan to do it, so it is not permanent, is really very simple.

Have a good day,

CJ

CycleJay

Hi guys,
By the way, Yes. I did have my vehicle in the classifieds last year, but then I started having
some maintenence issues with it, and I did not want to sell a problematic vehicle to any of you. I respect all of you guys too much to do that.

Also, back then the only reason I needed to sell it, was because I was having serious financial issues, and needed the money. But now things have improved,
so the need to sell it, is gone for now.

Have a good night,

CJ

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks