• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Doghead starter relay question

portert0224

One option on this forum for the sticking starter relay is to use the 3 amp barrel diode from Radio Shack on the AC40 starter relay. Another option on this post is to use the doghead starter relay modification. Can you combine the two and use the 3 amp barrel diode with the doghead starter relay mod?
Thanks in advance!

portert0224

Almost all opinions are to ditch the AC40 relay in favor of the modifcations. Very cheap insurance.

Some people have done the diode upgrade to the doghead setup. Others have not with no failures.

You can do either.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/32943-doghead-starter-relay-modifcation.html

Can anyone tell me or preferably provide a photo or diagram on where to connect the two ends of the 3 amp barrel diode to the modified starter relay switch that doghead uses?
Thanks in advance,
Tracy

portert0224

That's exactly what I was looking for, but unfortunately me looking at that electrical schematic is like an elephant looking at a wristwatch. I've attached doghead's photo of his mod. Can you tell me which post each leg of the diode needs to be connected to based on the attached photo (i.e., which color wire)? Sorry, but I'm a retired knuckle dragger. You've got to make it really simple for me! :-D

Attachments

portert0224

Thanks Ralbelt. I did not read down through the post far enough. Diode connects the black ground post and the 12v purple with white stripe post with the striped end of the diode on the purple striped wire side. I hope this is the only thing that went wrong when my AC40 failed.

Too Much Stuff

Still Having Problems with Relay Deal

Hey ya'll, I am lost. I am not a mechanic, that is my biggest issue;). We have now done Doghead's relay fix as best I can tell just as suggested. Batteries are up, 3rd starter in place. Glow plug light comes on,,then goes out,,and when I try to fire it up,,,,,,,NADA<,Nothing,,ZIP,,not even a click.
Any and all suggestions of what I am overlooking will be appreciated,,and I dont even mind some jabs, I just want to get to driving my 1009. It's an 86 low miles bought from a General at the Pentagon....maybe thats my problem. This is starter #3,,ouch.

Lomax

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the very bottom fuse. It supplys the 24v to the starter relay.

Do you own a voltmeter and know how to use it?

You will need to start checking voltages and wire resistance to find the problem

There are MANY youtube videos that show how to use the meter and test the circuits.

Make sure you visit the CUCV Forum and read the first few posts at the top of the page.

In the CUCV Wiki all the technical manuals are listed. Yoiu can get them for free.

Attachments

Last edited:

Too Much Stuff

Thanks ya'll. I do have a tester, and the former motor pool kid helping me out said this evening that the relay under the hood next to the master cylinder is the one giving us trouble and need to replace it. Sorry if I have wasted you guys time. However I do not know where to get the relay that sits on the firewall under the hood. That info would really be of help. Again thanks for the info. I have these manuals thegeneral gave me when I got the cucv.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is the glowpug relay. NAPA ST85.

If you replace it make sure you install the wires correctly. The wiring diagram is incorrect.

Attachments

Last edited: