• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

dome light blowing fuse

stranger75

I installed a 12V dome light today in the cab of the M1009. One wire was going to the fuse box and plugged into the 12V constant plug (2nd row down, between 5 amp B/O marker lights & 20 amp parking/ marker), and the dome light assembly was screwed into the cab of the truck providing the ground for the circuit.

I had the light on for about 10 minutes, with the truck running, when all of the sudden a fuse blew and I lost the dome light. Also not working were the interior under dash light, and the instrument cluster lights (speedometer, fuel gauge etc).

The courtesy light fuse was the one that blew. For some reason a 20 amp fuse was plugged in, but the fuse box diagram says a 5 amp fuse is supposed to be there.

After replacing the fuse I have tried to plug the dome light in a couple times, but as soon as the spade connector contacts the 12V outlet, the same fuse blows.

I have checked the bulbs in the dome light, they are fine. The switch in the dome light is fine. The wiring of the dome light is insulated and is not contacting any metal that it should not. I don't understand what is causing it to short.

I have found a similar situation in this thread:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/70928-lost-power-one-12v-connectors-fuse-box.html

Where in the TM's can I find the correct wiring diagram for this? is it in the -20? I could not find it there. I also looked on cucvelectric.com because they have good colored versions of the diagrams, but for some reason half of their links did not work.