• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dome Light Install Help

TURKEY131

Was think about installing one of the armored dome lights in the my M1009. I know it is a 24v and it has a plug where you would connect the wires. Any ideas about installing one of these? I am thinking hooking it in line with both batteries and maybe finding some sort of plug at Radio shack. Any help would be appreciated. :-D

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
umm tent light like in battery powered... after i get my 1009 up and running i want to install lights in the cap and under the hood but not D sized batt powered.. might have to do a 12v converter so i can run available 12v lights, cb, and radio

Somemedic

Silly rabbit, run a hotwire off the ignition from the fuse box. Theyre all 12v (except for the one marked 28v).

And yes, the tent light is C or D batts. I dig the portability and multi use of the tent light. One could track down the factory foot lights (boneyard) out of a 'burban or pick up, gently remove them from their plug in harness and reattach them into your 1008-9. Then, when you turn the lights on in the truck like you would in a civy truck, Ta-Da.... interior lights. They would be at knee level however.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
JW4x4 has one in his M1009 and one day I'll get around to installing one in my M1008. You can simply install 12V bulbs or tap the 28V terminal in the fuse box. Either will work but the ease of getting 12V bulbs is enticing. They ground through the housing so all you need is one wire with a male packard connector on one end. You are right, they are very nice and very useful. I have them in my deuces too! Hail to the armor dome light!

123mack

Here's my install. Used sheet metal screws and plastic spacers. The bare wire is a mini grounding strap I made, probably not necessary, but did it anyway. The power lead was made from a connector taken from an old wiring harness and some 14ga wire. The splice was covered with heat shrink tubing. The wire was routed over to the positive bus bar which supplies radio power. Tthe large wire it's tied to is the antenna cable fot the 2M ham radio

Attachments

TURKEY131

Well the moons were in a line today and I got an extra hour to hook up my light. Was not too bad to do and I am happy with the results. Here is a picture of my new light. [thumbzup] Thanks for all for the help guys.

Attachments

pbrstreetgang

I purchased a small square (auto dome light led ) replacement to mount on the roof of my M1009 as an overhead dome light. I used a wire tap/splice at the existing courtesy light so that they would both activate when I turn my headlight knob.

Now I am poor at wiring, but I really got it wrong. The thing stays on contstantly if I splice the red wire and it does the opposite of my courtesy light when I turn the knob when I splice the white wire.

Should I use a fuse tap connector at the actual switch?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks