• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dongfeng doors on Humvee

jim1131

Looking at buying a set of Dongfeng doors (chineese humvee) and would like to know if they are interchangeable with the AM General Humvee. Seller swears they will work but I'm looking for a second opinion, any help will be appreciated.

springer1981

I like this option, if I needed doors these are probably the ones I would go with. This guy makes them in North Carolina and they are about half the price of others. I think this guy does Corvette fiberglass work and also makes these.

11.jpg

Last edited:

springer1981

These are very clean. What is his contact info?
I think this is the guy. https://northgeorgiacorvette.com/contact-us ... it was North Georgia not North Carolina, my mistake. Chris Gowen. I found him on a FB HMMWV Swap group. He makes other stuff too like center consoles and rear curtain that uses a 87 Chevy rear window.

I have no personal experience or connection with him. He seems to have a lot of positive comments from happy customers on his posts. A full set of complete doors with windows (not exactly like stock) less hinges and strikers is $2000

Here's a picture that shows the inside
doors.jpg

jim1131

My second opinion is don't buy anything Chinese. There are American Made options.
I am not interested in the military style overpriced doors that are only available at a few places, I already bought the "American Made Option" composite aftermarket doors for one of my humvees and found that the doors were actually manufactured overseas and spent 5k on them. I want real doors, which American made option has real Hummer H1 style metal doors complete with paneling and windows and don't cost more than the actual vehicle being built? That is whats being offered on the Chinese doors and I can buy 3 sets of Chinese doors for the price paid for 1 set of American sourced doors which were actually made in Russia. I love supporting our economy but prices have been ridiculous lately and it seems that many of the aftermarket parts are made overseas anyway.

springer1981

I am not interested in the military style overpriced doors that are only available at a few places, I already bought the "American Made Option" composite aftermarket doors for one of my humvees and found that the doors were actually manufactured overseas and spent 5k on them. I want real doors, which American made option has real Hummer H1 style metal doors complete with paneling and windows and don't cost more than the actual vehicle being built? That is whats being offered on the Chinese doors and I can buy 3 sets of Chinese doors for the price paid for 1 set of American sourced doors which were actually made in Russia. I love supporting our economy but prices have been ridiculous lately and it seems that many of the aftermarket parts are made overseas anyway.
Ok, good luck. FYI, the ones I pointed out are made in USA and are a fraction of the prices of what you indicated. They are not a Hummer style "finished" door.

jrtoffroad

Where do you buy the Dongfeng doors from? Do you know for sure they'll fit a Humvee?

I 100% agree about the prices. I wish a company like bestop would jump on the HMMWV market and make some reasonably priced doors & tops. I don't see why the same part for a jeep needs to cost 5 times as much if it's for a HMMWV.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would never support a company that blatantly ripped off an American company’s technology.

What they have done would be considered illegal in the United States and the company would be closed.

I believe this thread should be closed just on principle.

Sorry for being a stick in the mud.

SmartDrug

Where do you buy the Dongfeng doors from? Do you know for sure they'll fit a Humvee?

I 100% agree about the prices. I wish a company like bestop would jump on the HMMWV market and make some reasonably priced doors & tops. I don't see why the same part for a jeep needs to cost 5 times as much if it's for a HMMWV.
While I agree, economies of scale are real. Jeep sold 200,000 Wranglers in 2020 alone, this means that by the end of a model run CJ/YJ/TJ/JK/LJ/etc. there are likely millions of potential customers for each one of those, maybe more due to product overlap. AMG has made something like 350,000 HMMWVs during the 37 years of production. Given the incredibly small number that have ended up in civilian hands, I just can’t see it as worth doing for most products.

To design a wire jig for a door frame is challenging enough, but then there’s handles, fabric, windows, etc. I’m not suggesting that it’s not possible, but when all is said and done, it likely won’t be much, if any, cheaper than current options.

That said, if the new demil situation results in another 50,000 units (requiring a 4 man conversion) hitting civilian markets, I suspect someone will step up to the plate.

jim1131

Ok, good luck. FYI, the ones I pointed out are made in USA and are a fraction of the prices of what you indicated. They are not a Hummer style "finished" door.
I built my humvee to be as close to an H1 as possible and the military style doors are not what I wanted. Actually some of the humvee parts are next to impossible to get as well. Many of the replacement parts are aftermarket

jim1131

Its price gouching. if its a humvee they will charge 5x. I am working directly with a dongfeng parts supplier and I will be experimenting with the doors, measurements are really close. Some of the interior will work on humvees as well but with some modification.

blutow

Its price gouching
Nobody is getting rich selling hmmwv parts to the civilian market. The market is tiny, so anything that requires significant design, tooling, or up front investment is unattractive. I've seen a few hmmwv parts with excessive price points, but most of the normal automotive parts are pretty cheap. Some of the high end aftermarket bumpers and roof systems are pricey, but they aren't mass producing anything. I'd be surprised if they sold 500 aftermarket hmmwv roof systems in the last year across all vendors. You just can't compare it to a jeep or mustang that they make in big numbers with a very competitive aftermarket.

jim1131

Nobody is getting rich selling hmmwv parts to the civilian market. The market is tiny, so anything that requires significant design, tooling, or up front investment is unattractive. I've seen a few hmmwv parts with excessive price points, but most of the normal automotive parts are pretty cheap. Some of the high end aftermarket bumpers and roof systems are pricey, but they aren't mass producing anything. I'd be surprised if they sold 500 aftermarket hmmwv roof systems in the last year across all vendors. You just can't compare it to a jeep or mustang that they make in big numbers with a very competitive aftermarket.
I agree and thats why it makes sense to look at inexpensive mass produced parts overseas. The Chinese Dongfeng looks very similar to he Humvee and I have successfully installed interior items with some modification.

Humpty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree and thats why it makes sense to look at inexpensive mass produced parts overseas. The Chinese Dongfeng looks very similar to he Humvee and I have successfully installed interior items with some modification.
I realize this is an over a year old thread, but I had to ask.. Where are you finding these Chinese parts? I googled doors for the Dongfeng "Maverick" and they're $1800+ a piece.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks