• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Don't Let Your Brother-In-Law Drive Your Deuce

DeuceIsLoose

Hi Friends,

Well I was down in the country (Texas) for a big mud-bog party they were having and I loaned out one of my deuces for my brother-in-law to drive. He was tearing it up all day in the mud (the same thing I was doing in my other one) until the one he was driving "just stopped". I finally made it over there through the mud and antifreeze was coming out of the overflow tube. We tried starting it but all the starter made was a thud. It wouldn't turn over at all.

So I think he blew the engine... mine never got above 215 and I was pushing it pretty hard. They have that giant cooling system, so it's hard for me to imagine his overheated and seized up, but even after letting it cool off for a day, all the starter does is make a thud like it's trying to turn the engine over, but can't.

Oil from the dipstick looks good and there's still plenty of antifreeze in the radiator.

Any thoughts...

Finally, doing doughnuts in deuces in the mud is a lot fun--I'd definitely recommend it. I try to post a link as soon as I figure out how to post a video on Youtube.

Donnie

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Liquid, like coolant, in the cylinder. It WILL NOT compress. If he got it hot and blew a head gasket, coolant might have got in there.

Seems more likely than getting it hot enough to sieze up, but I'm not a MV expert.

Cucvnut

its when water gets in to the combustion chambers between the piston and the head. take out the injectors( all of them ) and try to turn it over to see if water comes out.

Capt.Marion

Fluid in the cylinders... better known as "hydrostatic lock." Especially pertains to water, since it is not compressible.... which would prevent the cylinders from moving during a compression stroke.

Gah- got beat by two people. But now you know three times over.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think he means that coolant got into the cylinders and it can't compress the stuff - so the engine is locked up (probably amongst other things).

Good Luck

Lee in Alaska

DeuceIsLoose

After a quick thought... I think what Cucvfreek meant when he said, try to turn it over to see if water comes out" is to try cranking the engine. For a second I thought he meant to literally turn the engine over (upside down).

I think I'm right, right???

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
right. pull all injectors and see if it will spin and whay comes out. Don't leave it sitting around like that either if it has water in there.. - -so attend to it!

derby

You could also have bell housing full of mud. Was the plug out of the bottom of the bellhousing? give it a look in there.

OKCMoparGuy

Hydrolock is probably a good bet, either by coolant or water you picked up through the air filter (or loose intake plumbing).

When you go back to the vehicle check the air filter housing (on the engine side) for signs of water. If you don't see dried water droplets the liquid is from the coolant.....check your oil (before cranking) and make sure it's not milky.

Next, pull all 6 injector nozzles and hit the starter. If you see a gush of water come out of the engine you've confirmed a hydrolock. If you can find some of the liquid has landed check out it's color.....is it green? Crank another 5-10 revolutions to rid the cylinders of liquid, reinstall the injector nozzles, bleed air from the fuel lines and try to start.

Even if your oil was clean I wouldn't drive it too far. The engine, due to failed headgasket, will be consuming coolant and it may overheat. You'll also be pushing combustion air into the cooling system possibly splitting the radiator side tanks which are only meant to handle about 16-20psi (combustion is around 400psi).

Good luck!

nhdiesel

Also see if the oil level looks high. Water will be at the bottom of the pan, so especially after sitting, the oil can look clean, but still have water in it. If it looks excessively high, there is a good chance there is water in there. In a pinch, lets say out on a trail or away from any assistance, you can let it sit so the water settles to the bottom (even a half hour helps), then SLOWLY remove the oil drain plug. The water will start coming out first. Let it just seep out, until it turns oily, then tighten the drain plug. Change the oil as soon as possible.

Considering the air intake level of a Deuce, I find it highly unlikely that water got through there. As was posted, check the air filter for water. I also doubt it overheated enough to do major damage without boiling a lot more coolant out of the radiator. A bad head gasket is a good possibility. Do as was suggested and remove those injectors and crank the engine over with the starter, while having someone watch the injector holes. Stand back though, if there is water in there, it can come out under some pretty good pressure. Someone standing a couple feet away could take a bath.

Jim

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you tried to pull start it ? I'd tug on it gently and see. Maybe the starter got messed up.
NO NO NO, that is the best way to hurt something very bad. Try and use a breaker bar on the crank and rotate reverse rotation. That will tell you if it is hydraulic locked or if there is a deeper engine issue. Quick and easy.

frodobaggins

NO NO NO, that is the best way to hurt something very bad. Try and use a breaker bar on the crank and rotate reverse rotation. That will tell you if it is hydraulic locked or if there is a deeper engine issue. Quick and easy.
Really ? I didn't suggest he go balls to the wall with it, you think a gentle tug would hurt that bad ? If so, I'll keep it noted !

Josh

i have hydrolock happen all the time in my wheeling truck, pull the spark plugs, crank for 20 seconds, replace plugs, call it good. never had it happen in a diesel tho.

crazyplowboy

Really ? I didn't suggest he go balls to the wall with it, you think a gentle tug would hurt that bad ? If so, I'll keep it noted !
I had a friend that hydrolocked his F250, we didn't realize what happened at the time so we decided to try to pull start it with my pick up. I was only pulling him at about 5 MPH when he let out on the clutch and it made all sorts of bad sounds. Bent the rods and snapped the cam, he now has a freshly rebuilt motor.

It is best to just take the time to remove the injectors and turn it over.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks