• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Don't Run into Rocks

DeuceIsLoose

Hi Folks,

I had the Deuce in the creek over Christmas and in an effort not to get stuck again (I was on my second run) smashed into some rocks. This is what happened (see pics).

Looks like I sheared 2 bolts and broke off the top forward tab of the bracket.

But shouldn't be too hard to repair.

Let me know if you all have any advice other than put some new bolts in and/or weld the bracket back on.

Thanks.

Donnie

Attachments

jwaller

wow. those are rivets and somehow you managed to shear the bracket. I'd replace it all with something other than what you have. replace it don't repair it.

avengeusa

you had to hit extremely hard, driving it like a true soldier i bet, lol

many tons of pressure did that, really amazing how strong steel breaks like that, but i guess it could have been fatigued, or cracked beforehand.....

interesting

DeuceIsLoose

It was a pretty good jolt to say the least. We were probably going 15-20. I was close to the side of the creek and the water must have washed out a sinkhole right at the edge of these rocks. So, I kind of sank and smashed into only on the right side all at once. Luckily I was wearing the seat belt, otherwise I probably would have had a dent in my stomach from the steering wheel. I'm just surprised we didn't blow the tire.

DeuceIsLoose

Hey All,

Thanks again to Mark for giving me his spare bracket. We got it on last weekend. Had to grind and beat out the old rivets. Then the hardest part was pulling the axle forward to line up the new bracket with the frame. The axle had slid backwards and the back bracket was folded all the ways backwards. So we had to use a chain come-along to pull the axle forward. I was lucky my uncle had two jacks one big and one small. We used the big one to hold the truck up and we put the little one between the frame and the leafs to give us some clearance so the bracket would like up with the existing holes in the frame.

It wasn't too difficult overall. But if we didn't have the chain come-along and the jacks it would have been much more challenging. I attached a pic.

Thanks again Mark-- I really appeciate it. This has got to be much better than welding the old one back on.

Donnie

Attachments

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
as much force as it had to take to do that I would be suprised if that is the only thing bent/ broken. I would at the very least pull apart and inspect the spindle on that corner and keep a close eye on it in the future.

rat4spd

Those are grade 5, you can see the three marks on the last one. and yes change them out before you try to conqur any more of the LA rocks.

Look like grade 8 to me. It's hard but you can just see 6 ticks. Look at the top right bolt. A grade 5 wont have two ticks opposite each other.