• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Door latch mechanism

Banshee365

My passangers side door has never opened since I've owned the truck and that's become a priority to fix for me. The handle is in good shape, as is the reciever for it in the door. Nothing is rounded out or stripped. The handle just moves up and down against it's stops like it's not connected to the bolt. You can slightly feel it but it's not catching. My question is, are the mechanisms made to be removable and replaced or is a new door in order? Looks like it could come out but would be VERY hard to get back in, especially with the door on the truck.

-Kelly

acetomatoco

The mechanisms are replaceable and are different left to right.. Many of the folks here have them for sale... you can get new or used and replace them with simple hand tools... Take off the outer handle 2 screws, and the inner handle, one screw.. and try to operate the mech with a vise grip from the inside... secondly remove the passenger seat and then the inner panel at the bottom of the door ...some times you can open the door with a screwdriver from the inside... an easy way to take the door off for repair is to pull the two hinge pins from the front of the door and it will just fall off in your hands... you may need a punch and hammer and if they are rusted... you need to drill them out... good luck RAM

Banshee365

Weird thing is, the door opens fine from the inside. That makes it a whole lot easier. Only the outer handle does not work. So the mechanism isn't that hard to replace? Looks like I may have to take the window out possibly.

-Kelly

jasonjc

RE: Door

You do know that the inside handle locks the outside handle , when it is all the up or down can't remeber which. Just a thought.

Banshee365

You guy's rock! I'm still getting the hang of where to find things in the TM's. I've been looking through some but I couldn't find that section in -20. I'll try and come across a NOS piece or good take-off. Anyone have one? I should PM westfolk lol, he alway's has the hook up!

-Kelly

herc69

OK. Before I take everything apart, the manual says to replace the 'screw assembled lockwashers'. Where do I find replacements for these and the spring? I'll need enough to do at least 3 doors, best to do all 4, I reckon. aua

groundog

: :) :( just fixed mine---just bend the tab like the thread says---lip on inside of door----make sure inside door mech is above the lip and it is not a bad job---if you have small hands and arms it helps---no need to remove window--good luck

houdel

herc69 said:
the manual says to replace the 'screw assembled lockwashers'
Do you still believe in the Easter Bunny? I've heard he has a good supply of 'screw assembled lockwashers'.

Seriously, the TMs tell you to replace every lockwasher you replace. Don't bother, unless the lockwasher is screwed up or a really critical part. I very rarely replace lockwashers. Its supposed to be SOP for the military to do so but I doubt they do it either.

herc69

Thanks for the tips. Shouldn't be hard, except that unlike groundog, I have large meathooks and arms. MAY give me some problems unless I can convince a skinny neighbor to help out for beer [thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks