• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

door locks on m1008

d_holden

First time post. This is an excellent site. I have a 1986 M1008. My question is has anyone tried to convert the door locks back to working order and if so how? Thanks for the replies.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chances are yours are in working order. Depending on the unit, the ignition tumbler was probably changed and the subsequent door key lost. They usually are almost trouble free.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Welcome to SS. You did not say what your problem with the locks is, but my door locks were very stiff when I got my M1009 home. Some NAPA (or other) lock lubricant fixed it right up. I also hit all my other cars, and house doors too. If something is actually wrong with you lock then I would suggest buying all new ones, so that the keys to every ones CUCV won't start your vehicle.

AJMBLAZER

Re: RE: door locks on m1008

builder77 said:
Welcome to SS. You did not say what your problem with the locks is, but my door locks were very stiff when I got my M1009 home. Some NAPA (or other) lock lubricant fixed it right up.
Mine were exactly like that when I got it. Just about impossible to use. The driver's side sometimes wouldn't even turn, it was all I could do just to get the key into it. I ended up using the exact stuff mentioned above, NAPA's graphite lock lubricant, and instantly the problem disappeared.

Wait, you mean all CUCV's use the same keys? I never noticed that but then again, I never looked...

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Re: RE: door locks on m1008

Yeah from what I understand all the M1009s and M1008s came from the factory with a single universal key that worked both the door and ignition. I remember reading that some units got sick of their trucks being borrowed, so they re-keyed the ignition.

AJMBLAZER

Heck, ours usually just had the keys in them and at night somebody grabbed them all before shutting up the shop.

The crash/fire/rescue guys I worked next door too NEVER took their keys out.

gt1009

Ya, I'm pretty sure that if you key says something like "for GM vehicles" it should fit any cucv anywhere. That way if someone lost a key they could just use another one.

Armada

Because they all use the same 'B' blank key, that is why chains are installed so the steering wheel can be locked.
Changing out the door and ign lock cylinders is not difficult. You will need a steering wheel puller though.
The tailgate lock cylinder on the 1009's can be removed and 'keyed' to match a new door key.

d_holden

Sorry I should have clarified. I can put the key and turn it to the lock position. When I try to turn the key to the neutral location to remove the key it unlocks the vehicle. I bought new door locks and replaced the old ones but still have the same problem. Which led me to believe that something in the door had been modifiied to keep the doors from locking. Thanks everyone for your responses.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Since there is very little to these lock mechanisms I would guess that you have your lock cylinders clocked wrong. Both the old and new cylinders are probably ok if they are doing the same thing. Your key slot should be vertical with the thick back of the key on the top. If not that then there is just like one linkage.

NCINIRATOR

Armada said:
Because they all use the same 'B' blank key, that is why chains are installed so the steering wheel can be locked.
Changing out the door and ign lock cylinders is not difficult. You will need a steering wheel puller though.
The tailgate lock cylinder on the 1009's can be removed and 'keyed' to match a new door key.
I alwyas wondered what the frigin chain was for.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks