• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Door Panel Paint Source?

renovate7

My maroon/burgundy plastic door panels have a lot of wear and are faded. What paint and color is every body using to restore them. I've looked at Duplicolor and Krylon Fusion.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The CUCV FAQ has the SEM Bronze color code. Some guys use the DupliColor Burgandy even though it is not the correct color.

Last edited:

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The SEM Burgundy is not an exact match, it is more burgundy. You can get a SEM dealer to make the exact match which has been posted many times on the site. The SEM paint is the best paint to use on these if you want them to look good and last.

All that said if you want the best bang for the buck buy the SEM burgundy in the spray can with the SEM plastic prep and you will get good results.

Anubis8472

That burgundy is way to light. It looks like it would match exactly the color my '78 had bordering the plaid interior.

I've seen it referred to as "Bronze Metallic" as well as "Light Bronze Poly"

Zenk

SEM Burgundy 15063 is an EXACT match for the door panels that came on my 1987 M1028. I painted a small area on the non-faded backside of one of my panels to see if it was different, and my wife could not tell me which part of the panel I painted. It is very possible that the door panels have changed colors over the different years they were produced, but for the 1987 production year it was exact.

Grega

I have used the SEM Burgundy on the door and dash and were pleased with the results. It may or may not be an exact match, but its close enough for me.

renovate7

Well, I can tell you Krylon Fusion Burgundy is NOT the color I'm looking for. Hurts your eyes. My seat is some sort of brown and the dash is light gray and the door panels are the faded maroon. I'm going to look thru the Fusion colors again and see if there is a color that will work. I'd just as soon get something locally rather than order online.

twlinks

Painted my door panels and my dash the same color as the exterior/interior...looks great at least to me and if it gets marred up a bit, just brush some more on and not have to screw around with spraying anything. :)

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I can tell you Krylon Fusion Burgundy is NOT the color I'm looking for. Hurts your eyes. My seat is some sort of brown and the dash is light gray and the door panels are the faded maroon. I'm going to look thru the Fusion colors again and see if there is a color that will work. I'd just as soon get something locally rather than order online.
Unless you use the SEM Burgandy 15063, nothing will match exactly. A local auto paint shop may stock it.

Last edited:

GPrez

I used some stuff from LMC Truck called Color Bond. Not sure how close a match it is, but I did the dash and door panels so it all looks the same. Very durable stuff. It's like spraying on a dye. It doesn't peel, flake, or come off.

Lizard Dog

I tried the Dupli-color Burgandy on a factory center console and it's great to work with. Goes on smooth and solid and looks pro. But... doesn't match at all. Looks far too red. I'll probably respray in the recommended SEM 15063 now... Should've searched more first! :oops:

IMG_4516.jpgIMG_4517.jpgIMG_4518.jpg

Lizard Dog

Got a question about how the paint on my center console has held up. I'm glad it was brought up because I did learn some things.

The new paint on the console started chipping pretty quickly. It still looked better than the oe light blue, but the adhesion was poor (perhaps bc of the primer and the old color below).

So after a couple years I repainted it, this time using SEM 39863 Plastic Adhesion Promoter as a primer. I feel like the paint is a little tougher- and looks a little better too. I was really happy with the look before, but the 39863 made it look even better somehow. It has still chipped some where my pocket knife hits it when I lean across the seat, but overall it seems to be holding up better. Time will tell, but I'd definitely recommend some sort of plastic adhesion product.

LastFbody

Got a question about how the paint on my center console has held up. I'm glad it was brought up because I did learn some things.

The new paint on the console started chipping pretty quickly. It still looked better than the oe light blue, but the adhesion was poor (perhaps bc of the primer and the old color below).

So after a couple years I repainted it, this time using SEM 39863 Plastic Adhesion Promoter as a primer. I feel like the paint is a little tougher- and looks a little better too. I was really happy with the look before, but the 39863 made it look even better somehow. It has still chipped some where my pocket knife hits it when I lean across the seat, but overall it seems to be holding up better. Time will tell, but I'd definitely recommend some sort of plastic adhesion product.
Funny, I was just about to add your findings to the thread, but ya beat me to it. Thanks again for the pictures and your input on how the stuff wears!

+1 to sem 15063 burgundy being the correct (or pretty darn near correct) color for the chevy cucv interiors.

LastFbody

Here's something useful for any doubters (like I was)

20161124_014920.jpg

The center console is sprayed in the sem 15063 burgundy we've been discussing, and the dirty thing next to it is a pristine example of the original interior color from the inside of one of my door panels.

Other useful tidbit, GM did in fact refer to the original interior color as bronze. There's a reference chart printed on the inside of the door panels with part numbers next to color names for all the different interior colors their trucks could come with, and above the chart is printed the part number for bronze. Looking back I should have taken a picture of that too, but hindsight is 20/20.

So cucvs are NOT 'blood bone' not 'burgundy' not 'maple' and not 'carmine red' BUT 'bronze'!! (Even though the color doesn't look anything like bronze..)

Last edited:

TGP (IL)

Here's something useful for any doubters (like I was)

View attachment 655394

So cucvs are NOT 'blood bone' not 'burgundy' not 'maple' and not 'carmine red' BUT 'bronze'!! (Even though the color doesn't look anything like bronze..)
Yup, GM called it bronze
Some of us been preaching it for a long time,
But seems not too many listen.

Had mine mixed from the paint code.

Tom

Attachments

Rvitko

The center console is polyethylene, a notoriously difficult plastic to paint. It is molded with colored plastic and not painted. I researched the heck out of it before painting mine.

1) sand it with 80 grit and go over it with a wire brush on a drill at low speed. The goal of this is to make a fuzzy texture for the paint to grab on.

2) wipe it down with lacquer thinner. Clean off all dust. It should look very dull, no visible fuzz but on a microscopic level it is "fuzzy"

3) torch it with a propane torch, quick passes about 3" from the tip of the flame, this will essentially fire polish it. This is causing a chemical change to the plastic on the surface so it is more prone to adhesion.

4) wipe it down again with lacquer thinner, fill any cracks or holes with jb weld instant, I found the instant didn,t run so bad and filled.

5) use sem plastic prep and follow with adhesion promoter per the directions and I used the custom sem dark bronze per the color code.

A year later my 50 lb dog has surfed on it, my kids have climbed on it, not one scratch or peel or chip.